Ch. 93: New era

I opened my eyes, but immediately shut them again. The bright light stung my eyes and made me groan. And the second I did, I heard someone stirr next to me.

"B? Beanie, are you awake?"

I opened one eye, trying to get used to the light. I felt Michael's hands grab mine as he, a little clumsily, sat down, making the mattress give away under his weight.

I moaned a little and forced my other eye to open as well, and my gaze fell upon my beautiful husband. Except that... he looked horrible...! His hair was a disaster, he was pale and had dark bags under his eyes. He looked completely exhausted!

"Oh, my God, Beanie! You scared me so fucking much... I... C-can't..."

I saw his face dissolve into a frown of tears, and he leaned over my hand and sobbed silently.

"I thought I... I thought I lost you!"

I lifted my other hand to caress his hair, but discovered that it was attached to an iv.

"W-what happened?"

My voice felt sore, like something had scraped up the inside, and I tried to clear it a few times, to no avail.

"Your immune system... Because of the chemo, your immune system couldn't handle your infection. You got sepsis, and... It all happened so fast! You almost died, B.....! You..."

He sobbed into my hand so hard, that his words became a blurr and his shoulders were shaking.

"Shh... It's alright, baby. I'm still here. It's gonna be alright."

Michael was sitting on a chair, so I pulled him up into bed, and he clung desperately to me. Our foreheads rested against each other, and I got heartbroken when I saw the pain in his eyes. I dried his tears and tucked a lonesome curl behind his ear.

"Your hair is a mess."

He giggled a sad little laugh.

"Yeah... I couldn't sleep. I just..."

He looked so incredibly lost, I just wanted to kiss his tears away. So I did. I kissed his entire face until my lips landed on his, and I finally felt him relax a little.

"How long...?" I asked.

"Almost three days. They kept you sedated because you were so weak. You still are. Shit, I'm so sorry for dragging you around the school! You could have... If I just..."

"Michael! Stop. Neither of us knew this would happen. And don't you dare blame yourself! It is not your fault that the chemo has ruined my body. Do you hear me? It's not your fault!"

I emphasized the last three words while I poked his chest, and I wished I could just wipe the sad frown away from his forehead.

"I love you, Beanie. More than life itself."

"I love you too. Please... I think you need to sleep. Shhh..."

I stroke his hair and his jawline, and watched how his anxiety gradually loosened its grip on him. His breathing got calmer, and his tears dried out. And after a while his eyelids got heavier until they closed.

He was asleep.

*****

"MICHAEL? IF YOU DON'T HURRY, I'M GONNA HAVE TO LEAVE WITHOUT YOU!"

I abrupted myself, when he finally came rolling down the hall from our bedroom. He was looking sharp as hell in his neatly tailored, black suit, with his signature red shirt underneath. His hair was put in a low half up ponytail, and his messy curls draped around his shoulders and over his forehead. The fedora was placed on top, and his aviators hung over the rim of his breast pocket. He had put some makeup on today too, and he looked absolutely stunning.