Ch. 68: Bedtime

I was sitting on the couch with Abigail in my arms. She was just finished eating and was ready for bed, and Michael was giving Max the last few mouthfuls of his oatmeal. He was really tired and not especially cooperative, but Michael's eager and persistent distractions finally paid off.

We put them to bed, and as usual Michael sat between their beds and watched them fall asleep while he was humming silently. But this time I didn't go straight to the couch, waiting for him, like I used to. I remained standing in the doorway, admiring the three of them, with lots of thoughts in my head. How come he didn't tell me that he was starting to get some feeling back in his legs? And why didn't he allow himself to believe that there was a chance for him to walk again? The doctor had said it. Well, he said a lot of other stupid things too, but what he said about Michael's damaged spine seemed logical enough.

Listening to his comforting voice rise and fall in a song without words, soothed every part of my body, and I had to close my eyes from the overwhelming feeling he gave me by his presence only. And I realized that I loved this man more than life itself! I knew I was hormonal now, but the feeling of being a part of this loving family hit me like an intense flood of happiness I've never felt before. This was my family. And it was so much more than I'd ever dared to wish for. This was how a family was supposed to be.

I wasn't aware that Michael had stopped singing, because I was so deep inside my own mind. But his face got a startled expression when he turned around and saw me.

"Baby... Why are you sad?"
He rolled over and grabbed my hand, and it wasn't until I involuntarily sniffled that I got aware that I was crying.

"I'm not sad. I'm really not. I just love you. I love this."
I smiled with tears rolling down my cheeks, cupped his cheek with one hand and let my fingertips graze over his short beard stubbles. His dark, curly hair was tied into a messy bun as always after Max nearly scalped us both. His features. And his soul searching, caring eyes. Such a beautiful man...

"I love you. I love Max. And Abigail. And I think my heart will overflow when this little one arrives."

I looked down at my little bump and felt Michael's hand caress it gently. A wide, warm smile lit up his face, and he leaned towards my hand and kissed it.

"I love you too, B. Much more than you'll ever know. Thank you for being there for me today."

There it was. There was my chance to ask him the questions that murmured in the back of my mind. So I opened my mouth to say something, but Michael was already mid sentence in his.

"We need to talk about their rooms. They can't all be stuffed together in one room when we have a whole empty house to fill. And I'm thinking that Max continues to have this, only that we repaint it and makes it into a big boys room filled with cars and racing tracks on the walls..."

Michael had stars in his eyes when he talked, and I mentally shook my head for hesitating too long.

"...but how about letting this little princess..." He leaned in and gave my stomach a short peck.
"...have your old room? Then she'll be right across the hall and Abigail can have the room next to..."

He rambled on and on, and I was so fascinated by his gesticulations while he rolled into the living room, that I forgot what I was thinking about. Until he snapped his fingers in front of me.

"Beanie? Do you mind?"
He stared at me with raised eyebrows while pointing at the couch.

"Umm, yeah. No.. I.. Sure."

He frowned with a smile, and eyed me until we both sat in the couch together, cuddled up like we always did. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close enough to kiss his temple.