Uncaged

I've been in the dusty jail for about 4 hours, though it's hard to tell without a watch.

The sun had started to set a while ago, turning the sky a perfect array of purples and oranges. The bushes hiding the cells made it hard to see much. I could see the beautiful sky, the remaining forest out of a small window at the back of the room, and the top of the stone walls.

i felt my stomach grumble violently, i hadn't eaten since i found myself in the box hours ago, and who knows how long it had been sice i ate before that.

"That's it. I'm gonna starve." I sigh to myself, accepting my fate.

"Not if I can help it greenie." Someone giggles from outside the box.

I scramble to my feet and run towards the doors, legs weak from not moving for hours.

standing on the other side of the bars is a girl. She had pale skin and freckles, and her long red hair complimented her bright green eyes. She was the girl from the box.

"Hi. I'm Melony." She says, extending her hand.

"I know, you're the one from the box." I say, taking her hand.

"Got a name newbie?" She asks.

I freeze up, muscles paralized in place. throught the hours apon hours of sitting here in this cell, i hadnt once noticed all my memories were gone. I felt some past experience in the back of my mind, and wracked my brain to bring them back, reaching for them, but in the end, they just slipped away.

Empty.

Thats all my mind was. Empty. Like a white room with no door.

No memorie of friends or family. The only things i could remember were the simple things like how to speak and how the world was supposed to work.

The only emotion i felt in that moment was saddness, but that sadness soon turned into anger and panic.

I let go of Melony, and brought my hands to my head, thredding them through my hair, and pulling at it.

"no. no. no. no." I kept repeating, pulling harder on my roots.

i walked around in circles, pulling at the corners of my mind.

"Hey Newbie? Are you okay?" Melony says, snapping me out of my panic.

"Why cant i remember anything?" I demand, my hands moving from he head to the bars of the door, gripping them so hard my nuckels turn white.

Melony bends down, putting her hands over mine. Her hands are warm, and make my muscles temporarily relax.

"its okay newbie, everyone has the same reaction. everyone you see here has lost there memorys also, and we dont know why. Every month we get a new girl, and they all do the same thing. You arent the only one, I promise." Melony says, slowly prying my hands off the bars.

Melonys words were soft, and magaed to calm me down pretty quickly, though im pretty sure ill never get used to the fact that i dont know anything about my past.

"Im sorry Melony." I say, my hands flopping to my sides.

"Its okay. Most of the girls have the excat same violent reaction, some worse." Melony says, smirking with eyes rolling.

From the back of my mind, a work comes into play. I dont recognise the word, but it feels right.

"Y/N."

"What?" Melony says, looking back down at me.

'Y/N. My names Y/N!" I say a stupid massive smile exploding on my face.