Taekwoon brushed past me. My wrist was gripped and he pulled me behind him. The other two, also moved a step closer behind me when I felt the pressure.

"Good evening." Taekwoon spoke.

His tone was respectful but everyone could hear the warning in his voice. Those around us stopped to listen to our conversation. Taekwoon was acting out of sorts which piqued their interest.

"Good evening, Mr Jung."

There was an awkward silence that ensued after as the boys made a wall between me and my mother.

Somehow, I felt confident. Probably because I knew I had more people I could rely on and I already knew my mother was present at the party.

Using my new-found confidence as strength, I smiled at Hyuk and Hongbin. They looked at me as if asking me if I really wanted to do this. I affirmed their worries as I gently placed my other hand on Taekwoon's arm.

"I'll be fine. I promise."

Taekwoon reacted a tad slower than he wanted to. I managed to nudge him and get out of his grasp. I couldn't see his reaction but I was sure he was feeling uneasy. Others were watching us more carefully now so I smiled as I approached my mother.

"Son, I.."

"Mother, it's a joyous occasion. Let's take this matter somewhere else."

I pointed my hand towards the door as I observed Taekwoon's expression. He did not like the situation. At the corner of my eye, I saw my mother walk out of the ballroom.

Taekwoon stepped towards me and spoke.

"I'll come with you."

"Thanks Taekwoon. But this. This I have to deal with myself. I'll be right back."

A moment passed between us and Taekwoon looked away. He ran his hand through his hair apprehensively and licked his lips.

"Fine."

Realising our friendship had such a weird progression, I laughed. I tapped his shoulder reassuringly before turning and walking off to my mother. A man I've never seen before came by as I walked off.

I found my mother sitting at a sofa right around the corner. Her head hung low but lifted as soon as she heard the clicking of my dance shoes. Her eyes lit up as tears filled her vision. She stood up, arms wide open, welcoming me into an embrace.

I walked straight into it, maintaining my composure and my speed. I didn't want to show her how the past few years affected me and how much I longed for the contact. I was sure she could tell how awkward I was from my body posture that never eased. She let go of me and observed my figure.

"How are you? Have you been eating well? What about your job? Has it been tough? How are you here? Has people been treating you fine? Did you meet someone? H-"

"I'm fine. The job's great. I'm here to celebrate my student's birthday."

"Hakyeon-ah, won't you come back? I miss you, your father misses you and your sister.. You understand she was looking out for you too, don't you?"

"Mother, you know I can't. Noona is doing what's she believes is right for Nemo. I'm sure she still doesn't approve of my actions either."

"Son."

I dared her to speak with my eyes and she eventually gave up. My mother sighed and grabbed my hands. She was much closer to me and I could see her face.

It really has been so long since I last saw her. I closed my eyes tight as I noticed the number of wrinkles had increased. The thought of my mother growing older sink in my head. For a moment, I almost broke down and gave in to her requests but I stood firm.