U

It had been a few days since Taekwoon was discharged. We decided it was best for Taekwoon to stay with me since I had more flexible timings and it was pretty close to my workplace. These factors made it easier to take care of him.

Thankfully, there were no other attacks or anything that was suspicious during his recovery phase. I decided that what happened was probably a warning to Taekwoon, though it was not going to end so soon.

"Kimchi Stew?"

I asked as I smelled the familiar spicy and nutty smell coming from the kitchen. Taekwoon turned his body towards me briefly before returning to cooking the dish.

"Yes and some side dishes too."

"Let me help."

I went to the counter beside him and continued chopping some vegetables. It was a comfortable silence between us as we focused on the task at hand. After boiling the stew for more flavour, Taekwoon put his hand on my shoulder to make me face him. I watched as he blew the soup on the spoon to let me taste it.

"Umm, let it sit a bit more."

Taekwoon smiled and nodded back. I decided to wash some of the dishes as Taekwoon finished cooking. Then, I felt hands wonder around my waist.

"Relax. You'll get a cramp if you are too tense."

I eased into his embrace and felt the drastic change in pressure I had on my shoulders. I continued wiping the wet utensils and spoke.

"I can't help it. I'm finally getting to know another part of your life."

Taekwoon embraced a tad tighter and his voice still sounded soft and gentle. Had I not known him, I may not have registered the strangled sound.

"Are you having second thoughts?"

I dropped what I was holding onto the counter and threw my arms around his neck. I hung my head low and burried my face.

"Never."

Taekwoon nestled his head like a kitten against my neck.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I turned to grab his shoulders and tapped his nose.

"You should head to the showers before the kids arrive. I'll set up, go."

Taekwoon took a small step and quickly planted a kiss before heading up the stairs to his room. Heat rushed up to my cheeks and I could do nothing but smile.

It didn't take long for the kids to arrive. The once quiet living room was now bustling with energy. Hyuk and Jaehwan were playing games on the nintendo whilst Ravi and Hongbin chatted about clients.

"Ya! Quickly get the guy!"

"I'm injured come heal me!"

Just as I heard the multiple sighs and groans, I called out.

"Come to the table!"

They rushed to the kitchen table and was in awe at the array of food laid out. Finally, we started to eat.

"This taste good!"

"Taekwoon, sometimes I rethink whether you are a businessman or a Michelin Chef."

"He is literally the Korean Gordon Ramsey!"

From all the compliments, only Taekwoon's head could be seen. He first denied the assertions before faning himself with his hand. He quietly muttered.

"Hakyeon helped too."

"Heol.."

Everyone exclaimed. They looked at me then at the food and Taekwoon before smiling.

"Love does weird things."

"Hey! What are you implying!"

It was pleasant. The food, the people and even the laughter that filled this empty house. I used to come back home and move about in the darkness, finding comfort in my music playlist. I just can't believe how much my life has changed.

Despite a threat resurfacing, we were all optimistic and viewed the issue as something that we would resolve. This time, and from now on, we weren't alone.

"Who are they?"

I started. Everyone shifted slightly and Taekwoon adjusted himself.

"They were my senior secondary school classmates. We weren't close but somehow I got caught up in their group."

Taekwoon sipped his water before he clenched his two hands together and continued.

"They now actively operate in this province. Typically making money through illegal activities or alcohol. On my part, sometimes I feed money and sometimes I help... I guess dispose would be a better word. I didn't like it but I never left and they kept assigning me things to do. Up until recently."

Taekwoon kept glancing at each of us as he spoke. It was obvious to us he was unsure and nervous of how we would respond or react.

"Why didn't you leave if you didn't like it?"

Hongbin asked. Taekwoon started to panic and stutter. It was an unusual reaction and everyone knew.

"I-I don't know. I just acted accordingly out of habit. Some part of me felt fearful and there's a part of me that felt trapped. I just agree and do. No second guessing and then reflecting afterwards. The regret and guilt of my actions didn't stop me but accumulated so the cycle just kept repeating."

"Breathe love."

I reminded. Taekwoon inhaled and breathed out deeply. I grabbed his clenched hands and tried to soothe the top of them. Fortunately, he seemed to relax and I could only hope it helped make him feel safer. I let him take his time as I assured him.

"I understand how hard it is for you to be saying all these and having been involved for so long, you feel like you can't escape. Right now, you are doing so well and what's different is that you have us. We will get through this together."

All of us gave Taekwoon a moment to gather his thoughts and compose himself. Whereafter, we started to come up with solutions.

"What should we do?"

"I don't trust the police much, especially with the previous situation with your brother."

"Let's go talk to them."

"But what if they don't listen?"

"We have this."

Jaehwan holds up a black object and smiled suggestively. All of us looked at Jaehwan confused as we did not know what he had up his sleeves.

"The secretary knows everything."