( 7; the .Heart || beat )

( Chapter Seven; the .Heart||beat ) [Desmond]

I was definitely in my zone as I burned the keys of my keyboard. I was searching like a mad man, determined as a idiotic Lois Lane looking for a breakthrough. I was too deep in my zone. So much so that I completely ignored my beautiful bestfriend that occupied his self with Chromieo. He caught my attention when he asked his weird laptop a question.

"Chromieo, why is it that Desmond is ignoring me?" He asked with the very cutest sarcasm in his voice.

"I do not have the proper answer to the question Master Hale?" His Chromieo replied, I hated that damn thing sometimes.

"It's been over 2 days since my birthday and I haven't received a gift from Desmond, nor Maxwell, nor Kourtland. Should I be worried?" I chuckled.

"Haleboy. You know better. I know you remember what happened last year?" I said not looking up from my computer, but I know he had a huge grin on his pretty face.

Last year was a sure right disaster. We were in full blown competition to get Hale to like us. It was good for him, bad for us. We were at our dumbest willing to do anything to get Hale's attention. It started off with Kourtland letting him ride his bike. Apparently he set the bar because Hale basically creamed his pants about it. Although I would agree that riding on the back of Kourt's motorcycle would have made my day also.

After that, Maxwell took it upon himself to buy him this expensively ridiculous watch. Naturally he crooned over Max's gift like it was sent from heaven. It should have been cause it was encrusted with the prettiest pink diamonds even pink panther didn't own. He still wears it to this very day. Now me, I had to come up with something a little more creative. So I ended up dedicating an entire 3 page spread to him in the yearbook. Let me tell you, that did not sit well with my student body and administration staff. But my Haleboy loved it so the entire thing was worth it.

Wait, it doesn't stop there, nope. I figured I topped it off and there was nothing else they could possibly do to out shine me. Wrong. Maxwell turned around and bought him none other then the infamous Chromieo! Bitch move right! Now you know he flipped over that and practically lived in Maxwell's lap after that. But Kourtland pulled a bitch move also, he got Hale this ridiculously expensive looking -promise- ring. How can anyone try and top that?! Eventually I had to settle on something more creative and something he wouldn't forget.

Wasn't nothing expensive, nothing material but the only the memory of him saying this was his -best- birthday ever. We had a classic movie night. His family and my family, Maxie & Kourtie included, all piled up into the Karl residence in our small living room with our cheap 52 inch flat screen and watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit two movies. He loved it and secretly told me I had made his birthday the best ever. Yes I did! I didn't gloat on it though. Not yet anyway.

Well this year we didn't want a repeat of our crazy antics so we decided to do something for him together, all of us at one time. Fair and square because we all loved him and he loved us. I had the perfect idea since I was the most creative. He doesn't know it yet but he's in for one hell of a Friday night. We pretty much had everything planned out and ready. I hope he was ready.

"Just be ready Haleboy. I have a feeling that grin on your face now will last for more then a couple days after we're done with you." He rolled his eyes at me then went back to concentrating on what he was doing.

I realized my hacking skills were getting a little rusty seeing as how it took me an whole hour to actually get into the information I needed. I had a hunch and followed it right through to the exact answer I was looking for. Now the pictures that flashed across my screen were worth the whole hour.