Chapter 4: Back Up

"Hey Caleb, I need your help. When can you get here?" "Uuumm in like 10 minutes? Exactly why do you need my help?" Caleb asked, confused and worried of the sound of his friend of 10 years' voice. "I just need you for something! Geez I can't ask for a favor?" "Whoa bro, you don't need to have a hissy fit! I just asked-" "CALEB!" Josh cried in desperation and annoyance. "Fine! Cheese and crackers Josh! I'm on my way!" With that, he hung up. The two have always had that type of relationship, even though they tease each other, it's they're way of saying "Bro, I love you."
Josh sat on his bed with his head in his hands thinking of what he was going to do. He had a MERMAID in his room for Pete's sake! "What did I get myself into?" He thought to himself. Lydia on the other hand was having the time of her life! Touching everything she saw, then Josh having to tell her continuously to not touch anything. Plus, she absolutely loved the family she was staying with! Mrs.C was so nice and Kelsey was super sweet. She loved talking and playing with her dolls!

Noticing that her human friend was stressed out, Lydia decided to sit down on the squishy and oh so comfortable bed next to Josh. "Are you ok? If it's about me, I can teach myself everything there is to know! You wouldn't need to do a thing." Before Josh could respond to the generous offer the doorbell rang, indicating his best friend had arrived.
"I'm here!" He declared. Caleb barged into Josh's room flinging the door open. "Hey, what was SO important that you made me pause Beavous and Butthead and get up from my heavenly couch?" Caleb asked, sounding a little annoyed. Josh pointed at the brunette with long curly hair sitting on his bed. "Is she for me? Aw bro! You knew I was a lonely human being so you got me a present!" Caleb exclaimed, bringing Josh into a surprise embrace. Once Josh finally got loose from the tight hold he said "NO! She's-" "She's the one you're cheating on with your girlfriend?" "What?! No! I'm not cheating on my girlfriend! This is Lydia, a friend." Caleb stared at his friend, raising an eyebrow. "I was walking along the beach and I found her stuck in a hole." "So your initial reaction is to bring her home?" Caleb asked even more confused than before. "There's a reason for that... do you swear not to say A WORD about ANY of this to ANYONE?" Josh whispered yelled. Caleb slowly nodded his head. Josh saw a cup of water on his dresser and poured it all over Lydia. "Josh! What did you do?!" Lydia yelled. Within 10 seconds, Lydia fell to the ground with a loud thud revealing her long glistening pink tail. Caleb was frozen; his black skin became as white as snow. Then there was another thud. Although this time it wasn't a mermaid, it was a very startled 18 year old boy. "What did you do?! You said you wouldn't tell anyone!" Lydia screamed at Josh. "I had to! I just need some help! I promise this is the only person that will know!" Lydia sat on the floor with her arms crossed not even giving Josh a single glance.

Josh sat next to Lydia and gently moved her soft dark brown hair out of her face. With his voice like silk he softly said "I'm sorry ok? I didn't know it would affect you this much. I know I should've asked you first but Caleb is great at keeping secrets. I promise that I won't tell anyone else." "Cross your heart?" Lydia asked, softening up. "Cross my heart." Josh reassured, making a cross gesture with his hand over his heart. Lydia smiled and gave him a big hug, despite her being wet. Then while in the warm embrace Josh felt something different, something warm. When he opened his eyes, Lydia changed back to her human form. They heard moaning coming from Caleb and they both blushed as they separated from the hug and rushed towards the boy.

For the next hour, Josh and Lydia had to explain everything to Caleb to get him to understand. "How are we going to teach her a lifetime worth of information in 1 day?" Caleb pondered aloud. The room was dead silent. Then Caleb quickly stood up and said "TV! TV is the answer! Pfft, TV is always the answer." "Caleb, you're a genius bro! Even though you're a TV addict, you're still a genius!" Josh jumped to his feet, high fiving his friend. "Lydia sit down, it's going to be a long day." With that, Josh put on the TV and watched for hours on end. By the next day, Lydia knew 'almost' everything she needed to know about the baffling human world, despite her being extremely tired.