Chapter 29: Pearly White

"This is impossible." The King said in pure amazement. "Wait, wasn't I supposed to have my memory wiped?? Lydia, how long has it been?" Josh asked with his face full of utter confusion. Lydia gave him a wide smile. "It hasn't even been two minutes." The King said, flabbergasted. "Josh, I just felt a feeling I've never felt before. The feeling turned into a force and it pulled me back here. I somehow knew that if I just called your name, that the sound of my voice and the sight of me would jog your memory." She explained to him, waiting for a response. He stood there for a moment, processing everything that was being told to him. "I got my second chance." Josh thought graciously. The King was frozen solid, still amazed at the turn of events.

"I never break my promises." He said, bending down to Lydia's current level. He grabbed onto her small hand, squeezing it slightly. "I'll make sure your mom will be well taken care of. We'll pay off your house and any other expenses she needs. We will also explain everything to her." The King finally said. "I'll do it, sir." Ronal volunteered. "Thank you Ronal." Josh thanked, shaking his turtle fin. The wrinkled sea turtle nodded reassuringly. "Josh, I can make you a permanent merman. But, it's irreversible." The King offered. Josh looked to land, then back to Lydia's beautiful face that was full of innocent joy and life. "You'll be able to call your mother and Caleb anytime, with a shellphone." Robert added. The statement sent a wave of relief over Josh. "I'll do it." He concluded. Lydia gave him a huge smile, waving her tail back and forth in excitement.

Robert motioned for Josh to jump in, which he did. He quickly threw his shirt off and dived without a second thought. The King tapped Josh's shoulders and legs with his tall gold and silver swirled sceptor. The large jewels on the top lit up, revealing the beautiful colors for what they really were. Josh felt the power rush through his body. The electric feeling he felt through his legs was something he could never explain. He felt as if the water was now a part of him.

He looked down once he didn't feel the strange current surge through him anymore. His legs were replaced with the familiar strong, masculine tail with dark navy blue scales. He softly but shakely, drifted his fingers over his new gills, which were on his hips and collar bone. Just like Lydia. When he looked at his toned arm, however, he saw a strange design. It looked like crashing waves. It stretched across his whole upper arm. When he emerged from the water, Lydia's eyes looked like they were going to bulge out of her skull. "What is this?" He asked, looking to the King for the an answer. "All the important mermen have a design on their on their upper arm. It's a sign of power. But, this only happens when they are in a place of importance in the kingdom. Like a general, or a King." Lydia informed. She then looked to her father with a surprised expression, one that Josh couldn't place. "If he is going to marry you, then he is going to be the future king." King Robert simply said. Lydia gave her father a big hug. "Thanks Daddy."

Months later...

Lydia looked around her large room, studying all the mermaids buzzing around her. Four of the many maids were fixing her hair and long trained skirt that was a bit longer than her tail. It was white with accents of pink, to match her tail. White pearls steaming from the waist to the bottom of her fin. Her top was a white V neck made from the finest silk, which was gathered at the torso. She admired the beautiful work of art that was draped gorgeously on her body. Coral then rushed in, wearing a pink shell top with a seperate long see through skirt that flowed beautifully. She fitted Lydia's top and skirt as tight as she possibly could. Lydia grabbed her squeezed torso, "Coral, can't breathe!" She gasped horsley. Coral slightly loosened them, with Lydia still partially gasping. "Lydia, you're not supposed to be able to breathe on your wedding day!" Coral said bluntly. She then looked at her best friend, with tears floating away from her eyes. "I can't believe it, you're actually getting married." Coral weeped, bringing Lydia into a strong grasp. Lydia also began to cry, trying not to rub off her glittery makeup.

"Princess, tis time to start." One of the maids formally said, bowing in respect. "Thank you." Lydia responded kindly, giving her a small smile. She gave Coral one last hug, then swam through the large, familiar halls. Anticipation running through her veins with every swish of her tail. She then entered into a large hallway where her mother and father were waiting. Her mother wore a white ocean flower in her hair along with her large golden crown. A white tunic draped over her shoulders, complimenting the soft pink skirt and top she had. "Oh my goodness! Lydia, you look so beautiful!" Queen Elizabeth sentimentality said, wrapping her arms around her daughter. Elizabeth saw the happiness that filled her daughter's eyes, knowing that she was going to be well loved. She then separated herself and led her to Robert.

The King gave her an approving smile, then grabbed her veil. It's was connected to a small crown with glimmering silver jewels. "You know daddy loves you, right?" He whispered as he carefully fit her crown and veil into her hair, which was in an updo. He pulled out a couple strands that were softly curled from her perfectly done hair. "Of course, Dad." She replied, having a small smile. As she heard the music playing and saw all the mermaids start to walk out, she locked her arm with her father's. The music changed to a beautiful song played by a large stringed instrument of some sort. The tall doors opened as all the citizens stood up to see the bride. Lydia looked at her hansome prince, which was standing at The alter. He wore golden accents the hung on his shoulders. The second Josh saw her, it just reasurred him that she was the most beautiful mermaid/girl that he had ever seen. She looked like an angel.

"Do you, Joshua Alexander Climans, take Lydia as your lawfully wedded wife through sickness and in health? Through the trials of life and struggles of the kingdom?" The King finally said. Josh nodded reassuringly. "I do." The King then crowned Josh with the 5,000 year old crown, passed down many times before him. "By the power invested in me by the citizens of Pearlia, I now pronounce the two of you, merman and wife." The King proclaimed to the people. Josh then pulled Lydia by her waist into a passionate kiss, with his thumb caressing her cheek. They then turned to the guests and swam down the aisle with the most joyous expressions. As they made it threw the confetti of flowers, Josh whispered in her ear, "Even though we went through all that we did, I'm glad you wanted to escaped the sea." Lydia gave him a small pearly white smile, "Me too."

THE END