Chapter 17: Dependable Love

With his hands like fists, Josh sat next to Lydia. Everyone had already left to the other room to mourn and to allow Josh to have his time. "Bye Lydi." He said as he stood up and hung his head in defeat. As he left, he heard something... he heard his name being called. It was faint and weak but he could hear it. He swiftly turned and saw Lydia's tail curl up and down with her pail hand reaching out to him. He bolted to her side and cried for joy! "Lydia!! Guys! Lydia's awake!" He called to the others. "I heard you." She simply said. "What do you mean?" He asked, confused by her sudden statement. "While I was passed out, I could hear you. I could hear everything. I heard you talking to me, I could hear my parents, Ronal, your mom, and you make a fuss all for me." She uttered with tears in her big green eyes. "Thank you." She sentimentally said, holding his warm hand. Josh smiled in relief and held her hand ever so tightly. "I'm so sorry Lydi. It was my fault. I wish it would've hit me. Not you." Josh said. "It wasn't your fault Josh. You were trying to protect yourself. If anything, it was my own fault. I caused this mess. I should be the one saying sorry, not you." She reassured.

"Lydia!" King Robert exclaimed. Her parents ran to her side and gave her a great big hug. They were so thankful she was ok! Lydia looked down at her tail and, to her surprise, saw no green spots! "What? How?" Was all she could say. "Ronal gave you some medicine to take it away." Her mother smiled. Ronal ran in with a spray bottle and started spraying her semi-wet tail. "Thank you Ronal." She smiled. "You are very welcome, princess." He kindly said, bowing in respect. "I believe this belongs to you." Josh said, handing Lydia her crystal necklace. "My necklace! How did you find it?" She cried joyfully, happy to be reunited with her beloved necklace. "I found it while I was fighting the golden mermaids. That's how I became a merman." He explained. She put on the crystal heart necklace and she immediately became human.

"Hey Lydia, I heard you awoke from your slumber!" Caleb playfully said, walking into the crowded room. "Hi Caleb! Thank you for letting us stay here." She thanked. "No problem, you can stay here for as much time as you need. Or, at least until summer is over." He smiled. "Thank you dear Caleb. We are forever grateful." The King said, holding out his big hand for a shake. "You are very welcome Mr. Sea King." Caleb said. "Dinner!" Caleb's mother called. "I'm starving!" Lydia exclaimed, rubbing her stomach. She hasn't eaten anything all day. "Then let's go eat!" Caleb proclaimed, leading the group to the kitchen.

"You have a beautiful abode!" Queen Elizabeth said, adoring the new atmosphere. "Thank you, my mother and father built it." He explained. "Well, they are very talented." Ronal added. Caleb smiled and seated everyone at the distressed white dining table. "We hope you enjoy your stay here." Caleb's mother said, holding her husband's arm. "Thank you Mr and Mrs.Ramone. This means a whole lot." Josh sincerely thanked. "No problem sweetie. And don't worry King Robert, we won't say a word." Caleb's father dependably said. "Thank you sir." The King said in return. "What is this?" The Queen asked, giving the food a strange look. "It's a cheeseburger mother. They're amazing!" Lydia insisted. The King, Queen, and Ronal all looked at each other in doubt and scarcely grabbed a cheeseburger. They took a bite out of it and the look of surprise and yum was on all of their faces! "This 'burger' is amazing!" The King said, taking another monstrous bite. Mr and Mrs.Ramone smiled in delight.

As they were enjoying their delicious burgers, the door bell rang. "I'll get it!" Mr.Ramone said, walking over to the door. He peeked through the peep hole and saw Mrs.C at the door step! "Josh! Your mom is here!" He called as he opened the brown wooden door. "Mom!!" Josh cried, racing into his mother's arms. "Did he do something to you? Are you ok?" Josh panicked. "I'm fine dear. Just a little bruise on my back is all." She reassured her worried son. Josh smiled and frowned once more. "How did you get a bruise on your back?!" He burst out. "It's doesn't matter, I'm fine." She said, stroking her son's forehead. "Let me take a look." Mr.Ramone said. Caleb's father is doctor, a good one at that. Mrs.C revealed her injury and Josh gasped in surprise. "Mother! What on earth happened?!" Josh furiously asked. Her 'bruise' was all over her upper back and a little bit on her lower back. "Mrs.Climans! Come come come, you must treat this now." He said without hesitation. Mr.Ramone and Mrs.C ran to his bedroom with Mrs.Ramone trailing behind. "Is your mom ok?" Caleb worryingly asked. "She'll be fine." Josh said, a bit unsure that she actually was ok. Caleb patted his back and the two went back to enjoy their meal.

As they were all finishing up their delectable dinner, Josh heard a small knock at the door. He walked over and opened the big wooden door, thinking it was probably Amazon due to Caleb's online shopping addiction. The second he opened it, someone punched him right in the gut. He fell back and saw the cold hearted culprit. Lauren. "I told you not to break up with me." She said with a fierce look in her eyes.