Chapter 16: Kiss of the Heart

"Hellooo?" Lauren said obnoxiously, knocking on the door with great force."You better be right Lauren." Her father said, holding his camera bag in one hand and a brief case in the other. "Trust me, I am. You just have to interrogate them. They'll crack eventually." She said, crossing her fake tan arms. "Oh, hello Mr. Jones! Hi Lauren! What a lovely surprise! You really should have called! I wouldn't have looked like such a mess!" Mr.C deceptively said, opening the white wooden door in her purple robe.

"May I come in Mrs.Climans?" He asked, peering through the small crack of the door. "Of course." She smiled, gesturing him inside. "So, what do you need?" Mrs.C worryingly asked. "I'm pretty sure you know." He said, staring at her very intently. "Know what?" Mrs.C asked, pretending to be as oblivious as possible. "Don't you give me this Margret! You know exactly why I'm here!" He said, sitting on the leather couch. "Ah! My new suit! Why is this couch wet?!" Mrs.C let out a small laugh then tried to regain her composure, which did not work to well. "Um, Kelsey dropped some water." She said, attempting to hide her laughs. "Then, where is she?" Mr. Jones asked. "You just missed her! She left to go to her friend's house." This time, she was not lying... for the most part. The man raised an eyebrow then tried to wipe the water off. It didn't work. "Alright Margret, where's the fish?" he asked, getting up from the wet couch and walking towards her with intimidation in his eyes.

"You want fish? Well, I'm not prepared, let me check if we have some." she said, power walking to the kitchen. Mr. Jones sighed and followed her. As she was opening the fridge, he slammed it shut and grabbed her by her waist. He then looked into her eyes and said "Come on Margret. That girl can get us millions of dollars! All I need to do is experiment on that beautiful tail of hers and that's it! Then she can meet all the humans she wants in a big, beautiful, aquarium. We can put dolphins in there with her if that will make you feel better. You could even pose as my rich wife and all will be good in the world. No more worrying about paying the house and for your kid's education." He said this as smooth as his rich blonde hair.

As Mr. Jones was interrogating Mrs.C, Lauren was snooping around to get some clue to where Lydia could be. As she was walking down the hall, she could smell something... a very faint smell of... the ocean. "I know you're here sea slug." She said, looking around the empty hall way. "What are we going to do? She's getting closer." Elizabeth worried. They were all cramped into a hall closet so it was not the best condition. "Hold on, I almost got it! I used this to escape when I was grounded." He said, using the crowbar to open the narrow opening in the wall. The opening leaded directly to the back of the house where they could escape. "Got it!" He whispered. They all hurried through the opening and out they went. The King still had Lydia in his arms as he squeezed through the narrow opening. "How do we hide her now?" Ronal asked Josh. "Crowd around her. Make it so no one can see through us." Queen Elizabeth suggested. "Brilliant idea my dear!" King Robert proclaimed. They all did exactly what the Queen said and walked as fast as they could to wherever Josh was leading them.

Meanwhile, Mrs.C was hoping that the kids had already left and that they were safe because she was most definitely not. "Margret! I'm losing my patience!" Mr. Jones scolded. He dropped her from his hands and she fell onto the cold wooden floor. Mrs.C shrieked in pain and moved as far away from the crazy man as possible. "Don't you like me Margret?" Mr. Jones asked. "In high school when you were a semi decent boy, not now that you are a heartless and straight up annoying nuisance." Mrs.C remarked. "Oh, I'm hurt Margret. I really am. I really liked you, ya know?" Mr. Jones pressed his chest in exaggeration. "Leave Jones. You'll never get to her." She asserted while cornered on the floor. Before Mr. Jones could say another word, Lauren ran in and proclaimed, "I found them!" Mr. Jones gave Margret a sly smile and ran off. "Oh no." Mrs.C whispered, on the verge of crying.

"Thanks Caleb for lending us your house, you're a life saver." Josh thanked. "No problem bro, anything for my best friend." Caleb smiled. "I hope Ronal hurries up with that book. She still has a pulse but not for long." Titus said, spraying his daughter's tail continuously with water. Just as he said this, Ronal ran in huffing and puffing for air. "I found it!!" Ronal cheered. He skimmed through the wet book until he found what he was looking for. "REVERSE SCEPTER POWER" it read. He read along the lines which said, "To reverse the scepter's energy on a mermaid, use the power of something greater than of the scepter. The power of love is where you'll find your answer." "That's it?" Ronal said, perplexed by the book's answer. "How are we supposed to help her then? That dumb book is of no use to us! Obviously, you did not find the right book Ronal." The King disappointingly said. "Robert, a way to show love or affection is a kiss. You boys need to brush up on your romance." Queen Elizabeth stated. "From whom will she receive it from?" King Robert raised a very important question, who was going to give it to her? "Obviously her boyfriend!" Elizabeth looked at Josh, which blushed a nice tomato red. "Oh, uh, she's not my girlfriend." He stuttered, amazed at the fact that Lydia's mother would even think that. "By the way you've been acting throughout this whole experience, you might as well be." She smiled. Josh was too nervous to say anything so he just stared at her for a good 5 seconds. "Josh, do you love my daughter?" The King suddenly asked. "Yes sir." He said without even having to think about his answer. With that, the King knew it was genuine. He nodded and gestured Josh to Lydia.

He kneeled down and prayed that this would work. He gave her the kiss. He put all the love he could in that single kiss. Then, it was silent. Everyone was waiting for a reaction from the mermaid. A minute passed then 2, then 3. After 5 minutes everyone had already lost hope. But Josh didn't. He waited patiently, hoping that she would wake up any second now. "I'm sorry brother." Caleb said, patting his friend's back. Finally, Josh broke. He cried his heart out; it was a desperate and loud cry with the tears to pair. 

"She's gone." He whispered in defeat.