Chapter 6: She Knows

It was a beautiful summer day and Lydia sat at the window sill in her room, watching the waves roll in like thunder and softly roll away. She was so glad that the house she was staying in was so close to the water. She didn't feel as homesick as she would've felt if she stayed somewhere where it was far away from home. Lydia was still trying to process her new found feelings for Josh. How should she act around him? Should she say something to him? As Lydia was lost in her own thoughts, there was a knock at the door that snapped her out of it. "Lydia, dear! We're all going to the beach! Would you like to come?" Mrs.C said from the other side of the wooden door. Lydia sprung from her chair and rushed to the door. She flung open the door and, with a big smile on her face, said " Yes! I would love to!" Mrs.C chuckled and said "15 minutes deary! Make sure to wear something flowy! It's scorching outside!" Lydia nodded and got ready. She wore a light blue flowy sun dress that reached her ankles.

She ran out of her room and, to her surprise, she found Josh just slouching on the couch on his smart phone. "Hey Josh, are you coming to the beach?" She tried to sound as normal as possible but she was actually feeling like she had a million butterflies in her stomach. "Meh, I don't feel like going." Josh answered in an uncaring manner. Lydia stared at him for a moment and Josh took notice. He looked at her as well. "Please come with us Josh! Please!" She pleaded. Josh stared at her and thought for a moment. "I haven't really spent much time with her, considering I'm the only person who knows her secret, other than Caleb. She probably feels a little lonely." He pondered. "Fine." He said. Lydia's eyes lit up! "Really?!" She said delighted. "I suppose." He teased. "Yay!! I'll see you soon then!" She winked. She jumped up and ran off. Josh realized how much joy he brought her and that made him feel really special. He never felt special before. And when she winked at him, he felt almost like a shock! "She looked so cute when she winked at me." He thought. Then he widened his eyes and shook his head profusely. "No no no no no Josh! Why are you thinking these things?! You have a girlfriend that you are very happy with! Right?" He said a loud. When he got up to go get ready, he saw his mom in the kitchen looking at him with a questioning look. All Josh could do was say "Sup." "Sup hon?" Mrs.C questionably answered. And he walked away blushing a very vibrant tomato red. Mrs.C jokingly questioned how she raised her son and if she should bring him to a psychiatrist.

"Kiddos! We're leaving!" Mrs.C called. Lydia, Josh and Kelsey all ran down the stairs and ran outside to the great outdoors. "Isn't it beautiful Kelsey?" Lydia asked, looking out to the ocean. "Haha yeah, it is! Though, I do see it every day." She answered. Josh just rolled his eyes at the two and grabbed his dark blue surf board. "Mom! I'm going to catch some waves ok?" "Careful sweetie!" Mrs.C called back to her son. Mrs.C was wearing a very large sun hat with her hair in a bun; she had on some capris and a plain white flowy t-shirt that read "Mom Life". While Kelsey played in the water and Mrs.C getting a tan, Lydia just sat on her beach towel, watching Josh ride those waves. His hair looked so shiny and perfect even when he was wet! As Lydia was swooning, she then realized that Mrs.C was staring at her with her eye brow raised. "He's cute isn't he?" She said. Lydia gave her an awkward smile and a more awkward answer "What? Uh yes, I suppose he is! I mean um well you know not like that! More like a baby cute. Wait NO! I mean-" "Lydia, it's ok, I get it." She smiled. "What do you mean?" She asked, trying not to make eye contact. "I'm going to give you a piece of advice my mother gave me. Go for it. Look, I understand he has his girlfriend but honestly, I REALLY don't like her. She changed him. He was such a sweet boy, always respectful and he always opened the door for the people behind him. But after she came along he was a completely different person. Wouldn't do what I asked of him, and he just hurt everyone he came in contact with. Whether it be physically or emotionally. He doesn't even hold the door open for people! Then you came along." Mrs.C stopped for a second, she looked out to the ocean then back at Lydia. "When you came into our lives, it was the best thing that could've happened to us! There's something special about you Lydia. Not only have you been a blessing to me and Kelsey, but also to Josh. Every time you walk into a room he's in, his whole demeanor changes. He goes from being his moody self with no sense of feelings, to a person that's filled with joy, someone that cares. It's like you bring the best out of him, himself. Lydia, you give him joy! You give him a reason to be kind." Mrs.C looked like she was on the verge of crying. "Mrs.C I-" "Lydia, Mom! Did you see that wave?! I demolished it!" "No, I didn't." Lydia said softly, smiling at him. He stared at her for a second then he went on with his wave story. Every word he said sounded like an angel singing a song. "I'm going to get some smoothies. Anyone want some?" Josh asked. Everyone said they wanted some because it was REALLY hot that day. "Lydia, some help por favor?" Josh teased. Lydia stared at him with a face of "what?" "Could you please help me?" He reworded. "Oohh, sure!" She jumped up from her towel and followed him to the little cabana on the beach.

It had bar stools all around it so you could sit down. They ordered the drinks and sat down on the chairs provided. As they sat there waiting for their drinks, a little girl and her mom sat down next to Lydia. "Mommy, my friend said that she saw a mermaid over there on that little piece of land!" The red haired girl said to her mother. "Sweetie, we've already talked about this, mermaids are not real. Don't believe everything your friends tell you." "But they say if you find one that they'll grant you a wish!" "Bethany, they're not real. End of discussion." With that they left the little cabana with their drinks. "Is that true? You can grant wishes?" Josh curiously asked. "Um not exactly." "What is it exactly?" Lydia didn't answer. She just sat there watching the mother and daughter walk off. Looks like the mother said something and the girl ran off crying. Lydia had to do something. She got up and said "I'll be right back!" She ran off as Josh watched her from afar.

"Hi Bethany."