Chapter Sixteen - The Big Response

【(Y/N)'s POV】

"(Y/N), will you l-light up my night and go to prom with me?"

I was struck with confusion and shock. Bewilderment was an understatement. This man used to ridicule and tease me, bully me. He sent me to the hospital, giving me a skull fracture too. And here we were.

He asked me? To go to prom?

Why didn't he ask Fanny or something? From the gossiping students sending rumors flying around the place, apparently she had feelings for Cuphead. From what I've heard, he didn't return them. Though, why ask me? Had all the hate for me vanished?

More importantly, had all his common sense disappeared? He knew about the students here; they loved to blether about nonsense. By nonsense - I meant us. That we would possibly be a thing, that we would do those romantic gestures.

Not that I would dislike and be against it, just that it might bring me too much attention. I disliked attention. My eyes were wide open, mouth slightly agape. At least it didn't look like he was proposing, although, that red hue on his face was truly adorable.

I would humiliate him about it later, but now was not the time. Now, now was the time to answer. He was waiting, the other students were waiting as well. So was I. What was I waiting for?

Nothing. It's not like I could say no - that would stir up too much drama for my liking.

Drama or attention? I preferred attention. I had to answer already, Cuphead was sweating.

"Yeah, I would like to 'light up your night' Cuphead." I awkwardly chuckled, in a desperate attempt to ease the tension and embarrassment. His face lit up in happiness, "you would?!" He said. People cheered, some didn't. Those who didn't mainly scowled in jealousy - typical bitches.

"Heh, yeah. But seriously, erase that tomato-red blush on your face." I said, easing up a bit. He awkwardly smiled, though the blush didn't fade. No, ir darkened.

I chuckled and smirked simultaneously as Cuphead looked down in frustration. As someone that surfs the internet and all those japanese terms that would be labeled on someone that acts a certain way, I believe Cuphead would be labeled a tsundere, as people would like to call it.

Though if I were to call Cuphead a tsundere, that would mean he had feelings for me though he denied it. Wasn't that term used for girls? Anyways, if he was truly a tsundere underneath, that would mean that statement was true.

That he liked me.

At least he wasn't a yandere. That would be horrifying.

Oh well. Maybe I had feelings for him too.

Maybe.

(A/N: do you like or love HS!Cuphead?)

The crowd had started to dissipate, but the chatter had not. Instead, it had increased. Some liked my response, some shipped Cuphead and I already, and some were jealous.

I wouldn't expect any less from this school.

I walked closer to Cuphead, which was also observing the crowd. "Cuphead, be honest here. Why did you ask me?" I questioned him, hungry for a response.

"To be honest here, I did it because Oswald manipulated me, in a way. I can't exactly give you details, but it was mainly because I was greedy and I wanted free food. Plus, I didn't think anyone would ask you anyways and maybe you would enjoy having free food too?"

My face scrunched up in somewhat offense. "Rude." I said before guilt covered his face.

"Cuppy, it's okay. I do want free food and punch. Although I do want to know what Oswald did to make you actually ask me out, other using your greed to your advantage of course, I won't pry any further."

I flashed him a warm smile.

"Plus, it's nice to have someone to go to for prom." A pink hue covered my face. Not as deep as Cuphead's of course, just a little blush was all.

"Yeah. Sorry if it was cheesy though, Oswald told me to say that." He said.

Judging by his facial expression and the previous things he had said, I put two and two together and figured out he had probably made a bed or Oswald probably dared or paid him to do that.

I didn't have much of a problem with that of course - I mean, you get free food. Though, a part of me was slightly hurt.

"I kind of liked it. Your face was priceless though, and you looked like a tomato! You'll never hear the end of it from me." I said, closing my eyes in comfort.

Days like this were the days I enjoyed most.

They don't happen often. They never really happen, but it was nice to laugh with someone. To be invited to something. To feel comfortable and safe.

To feel happy.

He returned my warm smile, "well, we better head back to our dorms, don't you think?" He asked. I glanced at the direction of the doors, then back at Cuphead's face. His blush had faded away for now.

"You're right, let's go." I said as we both walked back to our dorms.

We exited the glass gates and walked beside the road, happy chatting like normal friends. As if we weren't once enemies, in which one would hurt the other.

Some fragments of before, fragments I didn't want to remember.

We were like normal friends now. Maybe more in the future.

Once we reached the dorm building, we went our separate ways. We both bid farewell to each other, having our own thoughts to dwell on.

'Heh, Cuphead's blush was so cute. I wonder what prom will be like.'

'Pay up Oswald, you dirty mother fucker. Though, I will have to thank you later.'