Chapter 33

I sighed in boredom for the millionth time. After Trevor refused to talk, no matter what, once he saw me, Tony said it might be better after all if I went back to the Tower. Though it hurt, I didn't say no. It's been two days since I'd gotten back and only Jarvis could entertain me.

"Mr. Stark is back."

I jumped from the couch, running to the front door. In Tony's arms was a very orange and very glowy woman. It's the same one that I saw scolding him about guests before we'd been hit. Both were in terrible condition, sweat and injuries littering their whole bodies.

"Need help," I asked him.

Tony pushed through the doorway, his suit falling in pieces as he went. "Pepper's DNA has been altered. I think I can—" I paused everything. Walking around the two, I looked to Pepper. She was sleeping but unstable.

I brushed my fingers over her body to get an 'inside feel' for what's not human DNA. Luckily, this unknown gene in here wasn't dominant yet. I grabbed her hand softly with my left hand and pressed my right thumb to her forehead. I was unable to continue with my procedure while time was stopped so it rolled on once again.

"—tinker with it a..." Tony trailed off as he saw that I was now in front of him.

With a single deep breath, all the inferior stuff was taken out and replaced with her original DNA. My veins burned as if hot lava was flowing through them. I didn't want to worry either of them so I tried my best not to react. Within moments, she was back to normal.

She moaned and her eyes fluttered open. "Tony?"

Tony dropped her legs so she'd stand and pulled her in close. I could see the tears drop from his eyes and I don't think I was supposed to. I left the room without making a sound and went back to the one I'd become accustomed to. It was similar to the one I'd had at SHIELD, also called the broom closet.

When I got back here, I emptied it and called it mine. Feeling calmed with just a blank room. I felt better after I ate his entire kitchen. But I still felt lacking.

"Cyral?" Tony's voice echoed down the hall. "Cyral, are you... in my broom closet?"

I peeked out and frowned. "Maybe?"

He smiled and opened the door wider. "Well, don't mind if I do." Tony came in and looked around. "It makes you feel comfortable, doesn't it?"

He sat along the wall across from the door, motioning for me to sit beside him. "I wasn't raised like these girls I see on TV. I was more accustomed to killing and empty rooms. It helps me. You know, sleep at night."

Tony draped an arm around me, pulling me to him. "You know, you aren't so bad." He knocked his head against the wall and let out a breath of relief. "Oh yeah, Thor told me to pass on a message."

I straightened in alert, ready to hear him. "What is it?!"

Tony chuckled. "Loki says, 'Protect it. I promised.' I don't know what he means but I assume you do. There's another from the Guardians. 'We'll wait for you." Or something like that." He stood and clapped his knees. "Oh yeah, did you ever get a hold of your pops?"

I bit my lip. "Er-! Yes?"

"Don't stress about it. I'll talk to Peps about letting you stay here. Here," he tossed me something. "Call him on that. Only two numbers in there. Pepper and the pirate."

He left swiftly, leaving me to my thoughts. Nervously, I opened his phone. It was an old-timey phone, small and with plenty of buttons. In his contacts, it was just as he said with only two numbers in there. I called the number labeled "Pirate" and put the phone to my ear.

It rang three times before my dad's voice broke the tone. "What the hell do you want now, Stark? I'm a bit busy."

For a second, I couldn't even talk. My voice seemed caught in my throat. I don't even know why I was so nervous. I opened and closed my mouth like a fish. My eyes were wide as plates. I took a deep breath, not even managing a word before he interrupted.

"Stark?"

Concern broke his voice, but before I could let him demand for his entire force to flood the building, I yelled. "DAD!"

Then, I could hear him stuttering over my mic just as I had. "Cy—Cyral? You're awake?"

I teared up and held the phone to my ear. "Yes, dad... I—I just woke up." I coughed out and cried more. "I—I'm sorry."

"Hold on."

He hung up. I assumed he was mad at me. Maybe it was for disappearing after Loki's incident, or for the battle. But, I didn't call back. My heart tore into pieces as I curled into a ball on the floor. Dread killed my whole being.

Then the door swung open. I gasped, sitting up quickly. There in the doorway stood my father. He was panting hard, half-dressed. Even his eye-patch was crooked. A single tear was shaking on the bottom of his chin. He dropped to his knees and held his arms out.

"Daddy!"

I got up and embraced him with a hug, knocking him back with me on top. I laughed, a deep and momentary chuckle coming from him as well. I held him tight, glad to finally be back in the arms of my real home. He held me close, too, most likely to make me have this feeling.

"As much as I enjoy the happiness going on in my hallway, it's weird." Tony scoffed and turned to me. "Thor's here to see you."

All the atmosphere left, being newly flooded with seriousness, I stood. Dad stood up and adjusted himself, fixing his clothes and eyepatch. He nodded to me and told me he'd wait on the couch in the main room. I walked in the wake of Tony.

Thor was around the corner, not bothering with greetings. The depressed look on his face nearly told me all of it. "Loki's dead."