Chapter 40

Cally's pov

"We are the others,
We are the cast outs,
We're the outsiders
But you can't hide us.
We are the others,
We are the cast outs.
You're not out there on your own.
If you feel mistreated,
Torn and cheated,
You're not alone,
We a- "

Bark started licking my face, making me giggle and stop singing. I was lying in the grass softly singing a song to myself. It was after lunch, and I was done with my M.R. duty, so I had decided I wanted to walk through the Deadheads with Bark. After some time, I lay down in the high grass beneath one of the trees, a few feet away from the small forest.
     When Bark licked my face, I scratched the dogs chin. I didn't feel like getting up, the grass and the ground were surprisingly comfortable right now. I kept scratching the brown dog's body until she decided to lay down beside me. I turned to lay on my side, so I was facing Bark and continued petting the animal until I dozed off into a light slumber.

I had been gone for a short while when the soft sound of a breaking twig brought me back into the land of the living. I was still fuzzy, I hadn't opened my eyes entirely, and I wasn't fully awake yet, but I thought I could hear some voices. They were dim, as if they were whispering, but there was some kind of excitement in them, too. Then I heard the voice of my twin from above me, "heeey Caaaally?"
     "What?" I mumbled, not realizing the way he spoke to me was one I had heard a million times before. It didn't mean anything good for me.
     "Are you thirsty?"

"No thanks I-" I screamed and jumped up as I felt an icy cold liquid splash over my entire body.  "What the hell man!" I looked down at my body, my hair, clothes and shoes were socked with water. Not even wanting to think about where the water had come from, I slowly looked up to my brother, who was standing a few feet away from me. He was holding an empty bucket and laughing his pants off together with Gally and some other Builders; who were standing on a practically save distance from me.
     If Ezra had been looking at me, he would've seen that I was giving him my death glare, and he would have known that I was charging an attack.
     The moment I shot towards him, he jumped back and started running. "Come back here, you Shuckface! Or I'll break your kneecaps the moment I reach you!" I shouted as I chased him.
     "Outrun her, Ezra!" One of the Builders shouted after us, but we both knew that wasn't going to happen.
     I was catching up to him, Ezra was still dragging the bucket with him and getting desperate. He looked back, and without thinking, he threw the bucket at me. Right before the iron thing could hit me in the face, I slammed the iron bucket out of my way with my arm. The moment the iron collapsed with my skin, I felt a sting of pain shoot through my arm. But I didn't let it stop me. "Nice try!" I shouted at him as I continued my chaise.
     Ezra looked back for a split second, but that was enough for him to make a miss step. He tripped and fell to the ground. I slowed down before jumping on him, pinning him to the ground with my arms and legs.
     "Okay, okay- Cally..." Ezra's heavy breaths made it hard for him to form a whole sentence. "You- you've got me. Please, sis- sister- don't kill me... you know- you love me..." My chest was also rising and falling faster than normal. My condition had started to go a little downhill since I wasn't running in the Maze every day anymore.
     I shook my head in response, my wet hair falling in front of my face and dripping water on Ezra's. "Ow, brother mine, you're so dea- Hey!" Before I could finish my sentence, I got pulled off of my brother. I tried to pull myself out of the two hands that were holding my arms, but the grip was too strong. A moment later, I saw Alby pulling Ezra off the ground and on his feet.
     "What the bloody hell is goin' on?" I heard Newt's voice from behind me, I turned my neck as far as I could to see that the shank who had pulled me away from my brother was indeed Newt.
     "Nothing!" I answered while trying to get myself out of Newt's grip, but he didn't let me go.
     "It didn't look like nothing to me," Alby said, "you shouted you were gonna break the Shank's shuck kneecaps."
     I sighed and rolled my eyes, "I wasn't really going to do that! I was just going to spit in his ear for emptying a bucket full of water on me." Alby and Newt exchanged a look, decided there was no real danger, and before they both let go of us. The group of Builders and Gally had walked up to us now, still laughing. A few other shanks had gathered around us as well.
     Gally did a step forward, "sorry Alby, that one's on me. I dared the Greenie to throw the water on her. Didn't think he'd actually have the guts to do it." It was clear that Gally really wasn't sorry about it since he still had a big smile plastered across his face. But it was nice of him to defend Ezra.
     My attention got drown to Newt as he slowly lifted my right arm, "you're bleedin', Cals." I looked down at my arm and moved it away from Newt. There was indeed blood dripping out of a cut on my right arm, supposedly from the bucket Ez had thrown at me.
     Alby looked from Gally to Ezra, giving them a stern look. "Okay, you two. You just broke one of the rules-"
     "Wow, wow, wow, Alby," Gally started, "I never told the shank to throw the bucket at her. That's all the Greenie's work, not mine."
     Well, so far for defending my twin.
     Alby sighed, clearly annoyed that he couldn't punish Gally for this as well. He turned himself back to Ezra now, "Okay, Greenie. I told ya there would be consequences when you broke another rule. Newt, what do you think we should do with him."
     Newt didn't react immediately, but I did a step forward with a big, mischievous smile on my face, "I've got an idea."