Chapter Eight

Chapter Seven

            “I refuse to go to this special school, because I do not want to. If you try to force me you will deal with my lawyer for kidnapping me.” I informed, with my arms crossed over my chest.

            “Please Tori?” James begged giving me puppy dog eyes.

            “James, you know for a fact that does not work on me at all.” I told him seriously.

            “Please?” He asked more seriously.

            “Why?” I asked.

            “Because, it won’t be fun unless I have all the most important people in my life. I need my best friend.”

            Karson said, “James, you know I am going, we are roommates.”

            James laughed, “I am talking about Tori.”

            “Well.” Karson replied with fake hurt. “I see that I have been replaced.”

            “Well,” I started, “I have known him longer.”

            “Oh yeah? Two years.”

            “One hundred and fifty.” He looked shocked, “Win.” I finalized.

            James wanted to get back on topic, “I am taking that as a yes.” He said and started walking towards his car.

            “James I am not-“but before I could finish, Karson-I finally learned his name- had picked me up and was carrying me bridal style to his car. “Karson! Put me down!”

            “No, I’m good.” He said. He then met James at his car. “Okay who’s going with who?”

            Jazz begged, “Can I drive?”

            James and Karson were silent and they passed a look between each other. “James will go with you in his car then.”

            “What?” James asked in fear for his car.

            “Your immortal.” Karson pressed.

            “Then give us your car,” James demanded.

            “Then I will let Tori drive yours.” Karson decided.

            James must think that I am a bad driver because he had even more fear on his face, “James! I am a good driver!”

            “Tori, where is your car?” James asked.

            I laughed nervously, “The bottom of a lake.”

            “We will use my car.” James said and opened the driver’s door for Jazz, I saw her blush. Yes! I will be alone with Karson, this is my chance!

            Karson carried me to his car and then placed me in the passenger’s seat. “Ever pick me up again; I will kick your ass.” I told him in complete seriousness.

            He smiled, and I could feel my heart melt, “I would love to see you try.” He said.

            Just like John. I thought to myself. Suddenly, a look of confusion passed across his face.

            “Okay, James warned me not to talk about John. But seriously who is he?”

            “My ex-boyfriend.” That wasn’t a lie because we weren’t even married ten minutes.

            “Oh, so…what happened? Why is it such a taboo subject?”

            “He lied. He lied a lot, and when it came down to being together he chose power over me. Then he died, it was very sad but I don’t love him anymore. I don’t think I ever truly did.”

            “What do you mean?” he asked.

            “Do you know the difference between lust and love?” I inquired.

            “Of course, lust is a sexual desire, mostly physical. Lust can also be interrupted as a strong, passionate craving for something or someone. It seems in John’s case he had a lust for power. Love is a deep passionate affection; to love someone is to share a very strong emotional and spiritual bond with said person.”

            I was shocked and very impressed, “You are not like most men I have meet, especially at your age. You are very wise and mature, maybe you aren’t like him.”

            “I take that as a compliment.” He answered with a smile. “So, what was he like?”

            “At first? He was nice, smart, handsome, a regular prince charming. But then he went away, when he came back…he changed. He wasn’t himself. He was angry, more prone to violence, darker in personality, and well… a monster.”

            “How did you know him?”

            “John, James, John’s sister, and I were all best friends. Thick as thieves you could say. The four musketeers of the town. Then when he returned, everything changed.”

            “I’m sorry.”

            “It’s fine. I am over it, it’s another life.”

            “No you’re not.” He said, with a knowing smile, “When my father died, my mother changed. She was beginning to act crazier than usual. She started muttering things like ‘it’s happening soon’ and ‘I can feel it coming’.  Eventually she never returned from her…state. She hated Jazz so I started to have to take care of her. That’s why am I so mature.” He explained, “And why am I so protective of her. If anything were to happen to her…it would kill me. But my point is, you never get over something like that.”

“Yes, you can.” I argued.

“You are denying it, Tori. You can’t see it, but you are. You must really be scared of something that happened in that past life of yours for you to deny it so much.”

“I’m not in denial.” I defended.

“Sure, you aren’t.” he smirked, his eyes still on the familiar road.

“What makes you such an expert on denial?”

“I am studying to be a physiatrist.” He replied matter-of-factly.

“Oh really?” I asked impressed. Maybe he wasn’t like John at all, he seemed…pure. John was so set on his father’s business that if it was between me and business he chose business; hence why he went on the business trip. But Karson wanted to do something that helped people; John wanted to make people pay