Chapter 2

The heat of the day had lingered into the early evening, a warm wind blew back our hair as we stepped to the patio tiki area of Snappers Bar and Grill. The place was already buzzing with locals we had seen for years and young vacationers. Barney Michaels, a permanently sun burnt old man, that consistently smelt of coconuts and rum stood loudly as we walked out.

"The Victoria Models!" He bellowed. I laughed tossing my head back. People turned and stared. Serene gave him a gentle shove to the chest as she smirked,

"You had too much again Barney."

"No these beady eyes see just fine missy." He pointed to each eye over his sunglasses.

"Rum goggles?" Serene shoved them up the bridge of his nose with a grin as we grab two seats at the bar.

"Isn't it dark out now?" I asked him.

"Yea but these make me look younger." He grinned tossing an arm around a middle aged blonde lady that giggled at his side. I gagged visually, and Serene was laughing so hard I thought she might pass out. He frowned, though the lady was too drunk to notice our outright disgust. "Don't kill my swagger young ladies." He scowled then turned away. That only made us both laugh more.

"Usual's?" Hunter, a golden sun kissed, hazel eyed beauty of a male bartender asked leaning on the bar showing off all sorts of bi and triceps.

"Nope, we are officially twenty one." Serene leaned forward herself forward on the bar revealing too much breast for my comfort. Something told me deep down they had to have slept together at some point over the last four years.

"Sooo," He narrowed his eyes at her. "Then what shall it be?"

"Daiquiris. Mango please. Do you need to check us?" I reach for my purse after I spoke.

"No I know how old you two are Alayna." He held up a hand. "I'll get right on it." He sent Serene a wink then disappeared.

"Why do you think it was here?" Serene turned to me then asked, referring to the shadow.

"Do we have to talk about this here? Now?" I muttered glancing around.

"No one knows what we are talking about Alayna. This thing was stronger than any we have ever seen." We both gave Hunter a smile as he slid us our drinks. His eyes darted between the two of us.

"Everything going ok with you girls? Are you glad to be back?"

"Yea, fine." I answered quickly then forced the straw in my mouth.

"I think the beach is a drug for this girl." Serene slapped a hand on my back and gave me a smile. I swallowed some icy drink and gave her a forced one back.

"Hunter." The female bartender called him. Pretty sure her name was Karla but she was only hired at the end of last year so I wasn't positive.

"Excuse me." He mumbled and hurried to her side.

"I don't know." I finally breathed out, responding to Serene. "It wanted something I think."

"They all do. Death, chaos, they feed off of it. Demons."

"There is no guarantee that's what they are." I give her a skeptical look. "That would mean angles exist. You believe that too?"

"Sure why not?" She shrugged sipping some of her drink.

"So what your religious now?" I half laugh.

"No defiantly not, but something so evil must have a counterpart; right?" She stared at me with a hopeful look. I sighed and swirled the straw in my drink. She had a point, it couldn't be a world with only evil walking on it could it? A strange feeling crawled up the back of my neck. We both jumped when Hunter tossed down his glass shinning towel and abruptly left the bar seeming horribly pissed.