Chapter 15

I stood in the kitchen with Will, Hunter, Lyla, Dustin, and mom all around me. The silence was deafening while Dustin made sure my whip I had just train with was wrapped well around my right wrist covering my scar. His fingers brushed up my arm as he tugged the sleeve of my shirt down sending warmth down in my body with want even with everyone around. I had on a long sleeved, black, beach under armor t-shirt; and black yoga shorts. Under the shirt was the whip on my arm, a black glass dagger tucked in a vest around my ribs along with a small gun. The cold of the titanium against my skin putting it all in perspective. It was dusk out but you would have no clue it was only seven. The sky was covered in thick black clouds. Not a single breath of air seemed to move a dead leaf as I looked out the back sliding glass window wishing I could look anywhere than at them.

"Before you leave let's try the mind manipulation again." Lyla came forward. Like me and everyone else she wore all black, but long fitted leggings and a fitted long sleeve top. Long black hair in a slick pony tail. I nod and close my eyes for only a second, as if I was only taking a breath. When they opened everyone was in a red haze. I looked back to mom,

'I know it doesn't make up for what I said earlier but I really do love you, and I understand why you did and I want you to remember this not what I had said earlier.' I felt Lyla let go when I did. Mom had tears in her eyes but she blinked them back quick.

"I love you too baby." She pulled me into a tight hug.

"Do you remember last time we did this?" Lyla asked for me.

"What?" Mom pulled me away and frowned. "No?" I could tell she didn't. "Was something wrong with the first time?" She looked to me.

"No." I was quick to shake my head. "Not at all." I smiled weakly then backed away. "I think it's time for me to go." I looked to each of them, my eyes locked on Dustin's longer than the rest. "I'm sorry I got you all into this. None of us even really know each other." I said to Will, then looked to Lyla. "Thank you for teaching me and for the clothing, but really you don't need to go with us."

She shook her head,

"I have too, my kind is in great destress with her around. Plus you need all the help you can get. Sad we can't convince more mutations to work together because then she would be dead in moments." She looked to everyone. "It's actually quite impressive we are all in the same room and not killing each other right now." She smirked. Will walked over to her and put an arm around her rubbing her arm. "Not everyone is stuck in the old times."

"Please, just days ago you wanted to slaughter me in the tiki bar." Hunter huffed with large crossed arms.

"Still an option for later." Will tossed back threateningly. I smiled. Even though I had only been around them for a short time I have never felt more part of a family than I did. I felt tears well in my eyes so I turned and started for the front door without a word. I was to drive back to our house alone. Meanwhile the guys were to supper speed Lyla and my mom to underneath the house where they would hide and wait. Hunter would be last running as fast as he could in wolf form.

Out the front door Dustin was there waiting by the jeep. I shook my head at him,

"I can't do this now."

"You don't want a hug?" He ran a hand through his messy dark hair and gave me a sad smile.

"I don't think I'll be able to leave if you touch me." I admitted, my heart was racing, nerves causing a light sweat under my arms. I wondered if I looked as panicked as I felt. He traveled toward me slowly eyes locked on mine, stopping millimeters from touching me, but didn't. I had to tilt my head back to keep eye contact. Pretty sure I had stopped breathing.