Chapter 17

I pulled myself together and stood. Cracking the door open I could look down the hall and see Dustin having some sort of red drink in the den pacing. He seemed to be alone. Slowly I walked down and put my hands on the brown leather couch.

"Hey." I breathed into the silence. His eyes darted over but he turned his muscle wall of a back to me. I completely understood why he would rather ignore me. I have been so mean. And that was a nice way of wording it. He walked to the table to an open bottle of wine.

"Want some?" He mumbled.

"Please." I came around the couch and sat. He handed me a glass. I was careful not to touch him. Moments of a stiff silence passed before I gave in and whispered,

"I'm sorry."

He sighed heavily finishing his glass then pouring another. I watched him noticing how long his beard was now, the shadows under his eyes darker, and how pail his skin seemed. I felt a pain in my chest. I did this too him. I'm stressing him out. I'm hurting him. I finished my glass as well.

"You know I'm just trying to do the right thing, Alayna. I'm not trying to make your pain worse." He finally came over and sat next to me. He looked so much older than twenty-five. In reality he was right?

"I know." I looked down at my empty glass dragging my finger over the rim.

"Do you want me to teach you now so we can honor your mom tonight?" I felt his eyes on me. I nodded, stood and went for more wine. Chugging it I turned to him;

"Come on."

He followed me without a word. I picked up the bow and arrow once in the room. He came up behind me and lifted my elbows better. His touch sent tingles through my arms. He took my right hand and placed my fingers just so to grip both the arrow and string of the bow. Then he stepped closer pressing his body flush to my back. I sucked in a breath and straightened up. He helped me grip the bow better with my left hand.

"Close your right eye and focus with your left." He breathed into my left ear. I let out a slow unsteady breath being unbelievably effected by his presence. God maybe I didn't want him to show me. He helped me pull back as far as possible.

"Let out a breath when you release. As if you are sending it from your body."

I let go and it missed the target by several feet knocking over some glass objects making them shatter loudly on the ground.

"What the hell?!" Will's voice made us both jump apart. He looked between us from the threshold angrily. "She just broke family heirlooms!" He motioned to the shattered glass, eyes on Dustin. Neither of us had anything to say just glancing at each other. "You shouldn't be teaching her." He continued bounding into the room. "She will never hit the target with you touching her." I turned scarlet even though he was right. He went and snatched up the arrow and walked back over. Shoving Dustin aside he said,

"I got this." He looked to me. "Get back in position."

After hesitating for a second and glancing at Dustin's puffed up chest I did as told hoping Dustin wouldn't attack his brother for putting hands on me.

Will did the same thing Dustin did but it was much easier to stay focused. When I released I actually hit the target. I smirked and looked up at Will.

"You were right."

"I always am. Now try without me." I shook my head at his first comment then turned away and pulled back the arrow. "Head up, back straighter, widen your stance." He corrected verbally. I did as I was told then when I felt confident I released. I hit a little closer to center. I actually smiled and looked to Dustin. He smiled back, but it seemed forced. Then he left the room.