Chapter 10

It felt like hours had past. The forest seemed darker, fog thicker. An odor in the air made me doze off. My eyes snapped open though at the sound of rustling in the leaves. I blinked into the thick fog feeling loopy. As if I had drank too much. The fog rolled away from bodies that came forward. I felt a small ping of hope it was Dustin and Will but instead the Chief came forward with Serene to his left and another warrior male on his right that held a bucket of something.

"The time has come to tell us what you know child." The Chief spoke.

"I know nothing other than she probably wants me to rule land and sea." The words rolled off my tongue like nothing. As if I had no control of my words.

"Shit. Truth fog." Hunter breathed from the other cage. "You drugged us." He scowled at them.

I blinked at the ground feel nauseous.

"Guess that's a show of kindness from your kind." Hunter continued. "You could have simply cut off limbs till you got what you wanted."

"We are not always so cruel." Serene straightened her back defensively. Part of me wondered if it was her idea, her way of showing us mercy.

"But as a precaution that she has no more to say-." The chief stepped back as the male came forward with the bucket and tossed it my way. Water drenched me. I screamed in pain instantly falling to the ground. My skin burned to change. Muscles tearing inside. My eyes rolled back in pain as I let out a scream I didn't even think came from me. After rolling in the mud finally the pain stopped leaving me curled in a ball sobbing from the pain. A howl came from the cage next to me and I knew Hunter was back in his wolf form.

"Anything else you care to share?" The Chief asked me.

I couldn't find my voice the pain still waving through my body making me tremble. Sounds of protest came from out of my cage. The Chief called out sharp demands that came to a silence following a thud sound. I managed to peak under my arm seeing a knife sticking out of the side of his neck as he hit the ground. A man ran forward in just jeans and removed the dagger before running to the cage next to me. I blinked through the mud caking my lashes seeing Hunter run out and attack the warrior that had tossed the bucket at me.

"Alayna!" Dustin's voice came from nowhere. He was there in the cage at my side. He pulled me into a hug as he cursed under his breath. I must look like shit. I cried harder. "I should have come sooner. Dammit." He breathed in my ear.

"I don't mean to be insensitive but we have more issues." Will was only before the cage for a second before disappearing with his super speed. Dustin lifted me up in his arms.

"I can stand." I breathed blinking away anymore tears.

"You sure?"

"Yes." He placed me down gently on shaking legs. A breeze caused the hairs on the back of my neck to rise. I spun around finding a shadow towering over me. Dustin was before me swinging a sward made of black glass through it. It was a beautiful weapon that I hadn't noticed on him moments ago.

"Here." He pulled a dagger from his back pocket. "I don't have any more black glass on me though."

"This will do." I nodded.

"You thought you could hurt my niece, use her against me for your own gain." My Aunts voice echoed across the foggy forest.

"We need to get out of here." Dustin grabbed my upper arm firmly and pulled me out of the cage. The wolves took off to the woods as shadows wreaked havoc over the village. Screams of souls being sucked from their bodies unbearable to hear. My evil aunt came for me but not my mom? Did my mom really have no clue what was going on around her? Dustin swung his sward as shadows tried to stop him from taking me. I simply ran uselessly in his grasp. A scream caught my attention. I looked through the fog finding my aunt holding Serene up by her neck.