Chapter 3

I tried to fight Serene with it more outside of Snappers as the Uber pulled up but she ignored me changing the subject back to the Shadow.

"Stop bringing that up." I snapped as we got into the back of the Uber.

"Hi girls how are you tonight?" Smiled a Hispanic older man.

"Good." We both responded.

"Going to the Conrads. Fancy." He clicked on his phone looking at the destination.

"You know them?" I lean forward between the front too seats.

"Yes, they are well known. You must not be from here." He glanced back briefly at me.

"Actually we sort of are. We have spent every summer here since we were children." I countered.

"That's probably it, they aren't normally around in the summer. If they are they throw night parties. Strange people but rich as hell. It's an honor to be invited." He turned down a dark side street with an old brick road. "Who invited you?"

"The Conrads themselves." Serene answered staring out her side window.

"Huh." He responded glancing back at us in the rear view.

"Why the huh?" I asked.

"Well, like I said they are strange. Rarely leave their residence unless going on a trip, so that's strange you saw them out? Where did you see them?"

"Snappers."

"Huh." He repeated as the road narrowed to only a one way gravel road and a large rod iron gate. Slowly it opened for us now Serene was looking between the two front seats with me.

"Wow." She breathed in my ear. Tesla's, Porsches, Mclaren's, Ferraris, Audi's and more expensive cars lined the river rock driveway up to a massive home. It was something short of a castle. Shoot it was a small castle completely concealed by woodlands. I would have never known it was here. It was all brick, and three stories tall, and just as wide. The entrance grand with an arching glass door way. I sat back in my seat as we came to a stop unable to breathe. A few couples stood drinking red wine out front. They looked at our Kia of an Uber with disgust.

"Maybe we should leave." I muttered the sound of an opening and shutting door told me Serene was totally in. The woman looked her up and down now seeming impressed.

"They don't bite." My driver said. "Or at least I don't think." He added softly after. I pulled up the app on my cell and sent him a tip.

"Thank you." I breathed as Serene opened my door for me and I stepping out. Eyes fell on me as well now. I was never more grateful to be in something skimpy before. Made me feel more confident. The people said hello as we passed and went back to talking as if now accepting us.

"Why are we doing this again?" I took Serenes tan, thin upper arm.

"Just relax and have fun. Pretend it's the birthday party we never had." She grinned green eyes shining. She really did look stunning, defiantly could hold her own against all these prima woman. Me on the other hand, I wasn't so confident. I wasn't ugly... I knew that but I didn't feel beautiful or stunning either.

I nodded and let go of her arm. "Now stop being a scrooge and let's go." She pushed the heavy doors open reveling a large foyer opening to a huge kitchen, with lots of people in their mid-twenties to maybe early thirties. Everything was white and shining. Marble tile, quarts counter tops. Candles flickered in corners as the only light making it whimsical and mysterious. Just like Dustin was. My heart rate started to spike. I would see him again here. Soon.