Chapter 20

I stood on a grey beach. No one was around. The silence defining. I turned and saw someone in the distance. Long hair blew in the wind, she emerged from the fog in a white linen dress and a small smile. Mom. I sucked in a breath as I took her in.

"Mom." I breathed out. Emotion caused me to hit me knees, she was quick to kneel before me and pull me tightly into her arms.

"You did it baby. You saved the world." She whispered in my ear as I cried. People still died, I wanted to tell her. Her own longtime friend Lyla one of them, but I couldn't form words. I was a sobbing blob. I had killed so many without mercy, without a second thought, as if it had been natural. What type of monster was I? That cleared up the tears. I blinked and looked up at her.

"I'm a monster."

"No. You kill monsters. There is a difference. Something I wish humanity did more of verses us paying to keep them alive." She frowned in distaste.

"I did it without a single hesitation though." I shook my head.

"You are a born warrior something I always witnessed from a distance and I am sorry for that; but now we must look to our future. Your future."

"My future? Aren't I dead?" I looked around at the grey stillness.

"No baby, you are in limbo. I have been waiting here for you."

"How? How did you know I'd get here?"

"Lyla knows lots. Like she knew she would have to sacrifice herself to stop Caroline." Mom brushed hair back from my face. "You will live. The mermaids are tending to you now."

Pain radiated from my stomach then as if on Q. I screamed.

I blinked seeing movement around me people swimming, demanding things from each other that I couldn't understand. I screamed again.

Mom stood next to me. We were both up now looking out at the dead still water before us.

"You must lead them now."

"Who?" I looked around confused praying more pain wouldn't come.

"The mermaids. You are Queen now. You must serve five full years below water once. Once your time is ups you can come and go between land and water as much as you please."

"I don't know how to rule mom." I frowned out to the water. "Let alone ruling a community I have never lived in and know nothing about."

"They will help you. I have many loyal people still down there that will lead you straight. Be careful though I can't guarantee hard core Caroline follows won't try to rid you from the oceans."

Pain came again sending me back to a not so clear reality. Dustin was there, he had my face demanding me to stay with him, to open my eyes. God the pain though I just couldn't. I sank back to mom. She looked to me,

"I know you are in love with Dustin and that the bond is complete."

"I don't really understand this bonding thing."

"It is very simple. The connection between you two is stronger than any I have ever witnessed before, Serene and Hunter aren't in as much risk as you two. If one dies, regardless of how far apart you two are, so will the other."

My heart pounded in my chest.

"You must both be careful, many will be trying to accomplish that both below sea and above. I fear you have a lot of enemies my child." She took my hand. "But I believe you two have the ability to change the world. More mutations will come out and admit their love for others. You will change it all."