Chapter 11

My eyes flew open when the pain hit again. I cried out but was able to remain more lucid this time as Dustin blew into the bedroom. He picked me up.

"No." I winced. "I don't want to be babied again." I breathed grinding my teeth against the pain. He said nothing placing me down. I kept one arm around his shoulders as he helped walk me down the stairs. I groaned, and flinched when the pain would rip though my body. Mom was standing alert in the kitchen but said nothing as I passed to the pool. "Leave me." I said as he lowered me to a pool chair, not wanting anyone to see me undressed. He pressed a kiss to my forehead before walking away. I managed to get my clothes off and into the pool pretty well but once in the water the pain tripled. I screamed under the water as the transformation began.

When it ended I looked down at my tale again with the same surreal shock I had the first time. The water moved as someone joined me. I looked to see mom change. It was painful to watch, and terrifying, just like it had been when I watched Hunter change. When she was done her blonde hair flowed around her, a tale more green than blue swaying beneath her, scales traveled all the way up over her chest and down her arms just like mine and gills flapped gently on either side of her neck. Dorsal fins flowed off her back and some off her arms. She seemed so beautiful, so whimsical, blue eyes glowing through the water, I wondered if I looked the same. She, though, had a row of raised scales in a row across her forehead. Something about it reminded me of something but I wasn't sure what.

'This pool isn't big enough for the two of us.' She thought to me. I blinked in surprise forgetting that was how we communicated.

'Only I have to use it.' I point out.

'Good idea on the Conrad's part. She could control you in the ocean.'

'I don't get that. How?'

'When I was little my father, your grandfather, had a thirst for power and control. He injected your Aunt Caroline with demon blood, which is donated by a demon. This is how warlocks are made. So she not only has the control of the sea but also the abilities of the warlocks. She wants you because she can't walk on land for long due to her added demonic blood. You have to remember, to even be a mutation at all it requires a certain level of demonic blood to start.' She paused trying to watch my reaction. I had nothing for her. I floated effortlessly waiting for more.

'My mom, your grandmother, got me away, and we went to hide among the humans. This was back in the eighteen hundreds. You see we age very slowly. Your grandmother fell in love with a human man that turned into a vampire. This man was the Conrad's uncle. Don't worry they had no children, you are not blood relatives.' She smiled some at my expression of horror. Relief flowed through my veins. 'Nothing came from it because it was a sin among the mutation communities, especially considering what the King of the Ocean was doing. Trying to kill humanity. It was a sign that the vampires were on the same page, which wasn't the case, of course. They were murdered because of their love. The painting that hangs upstairs is your grandmother.' I felt sick. The same thing was happening again. 'Your aunt could and can control your mind with her abilities, she just wants you to hurt me by simply giving into her and giving yourself up.'

'I have debated it.' I admitted.

'No baby.' Mom swam toward me making the water probably splash over the edge. She took my face in her slimy hands, sharp long nails scraping over my skin gently. She did still look beautiful yet like when I had seen in my aunt in the water, a predator. My heart rate quickened even though I knew she would never hurt me. 'You can't do that. You might be the change our society needs. I have never seen werewolves and vampires work together yet they did to save you knowing the fairies had other plans for you. And that was because Dustin loves you like his Uncle so long ago had.'