Day 9

The past twelve hours have been the longest hours of my life. Right now we are on a private jet arriving to Los Angeles, it was the fastest way to get here and still it took us half a day. My parents are not telling me anything through the phone, the only thing I know is that my sister is unconscious after an accident but nothing else. 

I haven't slept, I don't have appetite. I just want to arrive to the hospital. 

Jay just turned seventeen, she is only beginning her life. I'm not much of a believer, I've never been, but I have prayed the whole ride for her to be okay, she needs to be. I can't lose her. 

And it makes me feel so selfish. I left home because I wasn't happy back home, I left my family behind, I left her behind. For what? To find myself? To travel the world and not pay attention to her? 

"Babe, the plane stopped. We can get out now." Harry whispers to me, I have been so focused on my thoughts that I didn't even flinch during the landing. "Come." He gives me his hand and I take it, standing up. 

He hugs me with one arm walking me to the exit and then walking off the stairs of the airplane. He guides me straight to a car that was waiting for us, I sit inside looking out the window, like I have been doing for the past hours. Harry tells the driver to drive off and he comes near me, he has been very supportive. 

"Hey." He moves his hand to my face, touching only my chin. I turn my face, but my eyes are lost. "Everything will be okay." 

"I just want her to be okay." I say, moving to rest my head on his shoulder, he hugs me closer to him. "She's my little sister, I should have been there to protect her." 

"She will be alright. I promise." He says to my ear kissing my temple. 

The rest of the drive goes by in silence. The sky is already dark, it's eight PM local time. I never imagined coming back to this city under this circumstances. I always thought I was going to come back for Thanksgiving or Christmas, not for this. 

We finally arrive to the hospital and as soon as the car parks we both leave. Harry holds my hand walking but I stop right before we enter inside. 

"What happens?" He turns to look at me, his hand still in mine. 

"I'm scared." I say, feeling a deep gut feeling in my stomach. 

"Come here." He says rounding me in another tight hug, he then releases me still holding me closer to him. "I'm here for you if you need me but I know that you're strong. Your family is up there and they need you. Your sister, needs you." 

I nod my head, I have been tearing up since I received the news so I don't really feel them anymore, they just come and go. Harry cleans the tear that was falling and leans down placing a peck over my lips. 

"Come on. You got this." He says reassuringly and I nod my head, I take his hand and walk next to him. 

He stops at the front desk asking for directions and they tell us she is in the eighth floor. We take the elevator, my eyes always pointing to the floor. I feel his thumb running over my hand repeatedly, all his small gestures have made me survive the past hours. The elevator doors finally open on the floor and we step outside. 

When we step outside, we don't have to look anymore. My mom was already in the waiting area, she looks my way and she runs towards me. I run to her and we hug each other instantly, she starts crying and I without controlling it I do as well. 

"Frances! I'm so glad that you're here!" She sobs in my arms, I have to hold her weight. 

I stand in front of her as she holds me at arms length, looking at me.