Aftermath

I sit on the ground, leaning against a stone column, thinking about the events of earlier today. I had acted like a heartless killer, and for what? To feel accepted. That's the truth of it. If I had hesitated, the careers would have thought I was weak and killed me on the spot. So I did what I had to, even though I felt bad about robbing those kids of their chance to win. At least I didn't know any of them personally. Speaking of which, I don't remember seeing Cal after the gong sounded. I guess he chickened out and ran. He must have seen that I was with the careers and didn't want to take a chance.

Well I guess I'll go see what the rest of my allies are up to.

They had just finished collecting all the leftover packs and weapons from the bloodbath. They had all the packs stacked up inside the cornucopia, and they were distributing the rest of the weapons.

I took a few knives and attached them to my belt. Then I took a short sword and attached it's scabbard to my belt. There weren't any tridents or spears, probably Cal's doing, so I rummaged around in some of the packs. One of them had some medical equipment inside. I removed the items and put them into the small pouch at my side. Sense I'm the only one who has at least some medical training I'm sure they'll come to use. Then I found one that had a sleeping bag, a bag of dried fruit, and a filled water bottle. I grabbed this one and walk over to the others.

"So what's the plan today?" I ask.

"Today, nothing. We'll rest up tonight, then tomorrow well start our hunt," Damian replies. Then we all find a good spot to sleep in.

I sit on my sleeping bag eating dried fruit when the Capital seal appears in the sky, and the anthem plays as the pictures of the dead tributes appear. Both the tributes from three, the girl from five, the boy from seven, the boy from eight, both the tributes from ten, the girl from eleven, and both the tributes from twelve were the tributes who died.

Cal wasn't up there. I guess that means he's managed to survive the first day. He must really want the pleasure of killing me.

Jase is on night watch, so I put my food away and lay back, listening to the crickets chirp as I fall asleep.