The Train

I sat on a soft chair, on the Capital train, awkwardly playing with the trim on the skirt of my blue dress. Neither Cal nor myself had said anything since we boarded the train and the silence was killing me. In attempts to break the silence, I looked up at Cal and ask, "So, who do you think is going to be our mentor?" He looked up at me but said nothing. "Mags Flanagan or Finnick Odair?" I added.

He inhaled deeply before responding, "I'm not sure, but I'm kind of hoping it's Mags."

"Why?"

"Because, to be honest, I'd rather not have a child as a mentor," he replied.

"But he's only one year younger than you. That's not that childish. At least he's not twelve or thirteen." I say.

"He's fifteen, he's a child."

"So are you insinuating that I'm a child?" I ask, a little insulted.

"Well-" before he could finish his sentence, the door opened and in came the young and handsome Finnick Odair, winner of the sixty-fifth games. I bit my lip, awkwardly trying to hold back a laugh at the fact Cal hadn't got to mentor he wanted. I looked over at Cal who was face-palming in his chair.

Finnick walked over to the snack table and grabbed a tasty-cake. After eating it, he leaned against the table and said, "So, I realize that I'm probably one of the youngest mentors you'll ever see, but that doesn't mean I'm not useful. I just want you to know that I'm going to do everything I can to help you survive these games."

"Well in that case, nice knowing you Nora." Cal said sarcastically with a wave.

I chuckled at his joke. Finnick, on the other hand, didn't seem amused. "Was that an insult? Because you know I could always not help you and let you die in the games. You'd be surprised at how even a few matches from a parachute can save your life."

"Come on, Cal. Let's give him a chance." I say.

"Thank you. I'm sorry, what's your name again?" Finnick asked.

"Nora Adler, nice to meet you. Well I guess it's not totally 'nice,' I mean no one really wants to be in the games, which may seem odd coming from someone who volunteered. You know what, I'm just gonna shut up now." I say awkwardly. Man this day has been awkward.

"Thank God." Cal said. Finnick and I shot him an annoyed glare. "What?" He asked. Now I was the one face palming at Cal.