Gamemakers Private Session

Today is our last day of training. We have to perform our skills for the Gamemakers. I sit next to Cal in the waiting room. We haven't talked since that conversation in the training center. The only reason I'm sitting with him now is to show the other tributes that I'm not afraid of him. Who am I kidding, I'm absolutely terrified of him, but I'm hoping I won't be when the time comes.

My name is called through a speaker, and I enter the training room. "Hello Nora," says Seneca Crane from the Gamemakers' spectating area.

"Hello," I reply.

"You have five minutes to show us your set of skills. You may start when ready."

I set up a few targets then run back and grab a handful of knives from the table and throw them at the targets. They don't hit the bullseye, but close enough. Then I grab a spear and launch it at the target. It hits the bullseye and I pick up a trident and throw it at the second target. It also hit the bullseye. Then, grabbing a bow and two arrows, I run over to a rope hanging from the ceiling, and begin to climb. Once I'm at least ten feet off the ground, I swing off the rope and fire the first arrow in mid air. I hit the ground with a roll and fire the last arrow. After I've finished I check to see that they both hit their mark. Then, grabbing a sword, I ran up to the targets and slashed up what was left of them. My timer ran out and I bowed as the Gamemakers cheered. Then I exit the room.

Later we all sit gathered around the TV in our hotel, waiting to hear our scores. Cal receives an eight and I receive a ten. Finnick and the rest of our prep team congratulate us on our scores.

Cal just stands up and says, "Well, we'll see how well that score protects you in the arena," then he walks out of the room.

The room goes silent for at least a full minute before my stylist starts telling me about the dress she's designed for me to wear at the interview. By the way she describes it, it sounds gorgeous. I can't wait to try it on.