Chapter 4- Hayden

Melinda and Morgan are having hot chocolate together while Maureen is cooking. She yelled from the kitchen to tell them about Melody.

"Mom, Melody is taking the bus to Lake Tahoe, so she going to be here late!"

"Oh no, she's going to miss dinner," worried Melinda. "Let's save her food for tomorrow. You made enough for everybody right?"

"Yes".

Melinda went to the kitchen to check the food. She was checking the greens. "Them greens smell good."

"I know. You make the best greens and I hope my cornbread's ready."

Melinda looked concerned then ask, "Honey you sure you want to get married? Why the rush and why we haven't started the bachelorette party and the engagement party. We haven't met this guy."

Melinda turned to Maureen and places her hand on her belly. "Sweetie, are you pregnant?"

Maureen removed her mom's hand, "I'm not pregnant mom."

"He doesn't have children, right?"

"Yes, a fifteen-year-old daughter. Look you'll love my fiancée and everyone will love my baby"

"How do you love him and we haven't met him?"

"Mom, everything will be fine. OK, relax."

Melinda and Maureen were having a mother-daughter conversation then Maureen started to look worried and nervous. Melinda looks at her strange.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Melinda asked.

"Mom, I love you but I have something I want to tell you. See Hayden is—

The door opened and Natalie, cheerful, "Merry Christmas!!"

Morgan went up to Natalie and hug, "How's my favorite daughter in law?"

"Good", Natalie said.

"Now where's my son?" asked Morgan.

"He's talking to his partner from the firm. I mean he's on the phone 24/7. I know that's his job but damn take a break, its Christmas." Said Natalie.

Melinda hugs Natalie and said, "Now my son should not be on that phone while on vacation."

"Yes, the case of Mills vs. NYPD trial is on January 27. Send me the case file and I'll look at it," Michael walked in talking on his cell phone. He looked at Natalie and said, " Natalie, bring our bags upstairs." He left his suitcase by Natalie while on the phone. Melinda tries to say hi to Michael but Michael stopped and said, " You see I'm on the phone?" rolled his eyes and continued talking on his cell phone.

Melinda angerly took his phone from his hand and talk to his partner.

"My son would call you back." She hangs up.

Michael said"Mother why did you do that. That call was important"

"Well hello, stranger." Said Melinda.

"Well hello mother," he said sternly, "How are you doing?"

"It's about time you showed up for this event after missing your sisters' graduations, birthdays, Thanksgiving, and me and your father's anniversary."

"Mother don't start ok."

Maureen walked up to Michael, stubborn. "Now somebody decides to show up. Since you showed up for my wedding, we should all go to Las Vegas to see you get married but we didn't do that because you eloped behind our backs and broke the wedding tradition. Now I have to bring it back because I'm getting married."