William

As soon as Jack was on the ship, I kissed him, earning some ooos and whistles from the crew. "Oops," I whispered, forgetting what Jack had said about kissing in front of the crew. I looked up at him, biting my lip.

"It's been a few days, so I'll let it slide, this time."

"Let's put some distance between us and this island and head out to open sea," Gibbs told Jack.

"Yes to the first, yes to the second, but only as so far as we keep to the shallows as much as possible." Pintel and Ragetti draped Jack's coat on his shoulders; Pintel saluted when Jack glanced at him.

"Now, that seems a bit contradictory, Captain."

"I have every faith in your reconciliatory navigational skills, Master Gibbs. Now, where is that monkey? I want to shoot something." I heard the monkey screech, and run off, while Jack loaded his pistol.

"Jack," Will said.

"Ah."

"Elizabeth is in danger." Jack moved towards the helm, keeping an eye on the monkey.

"Have you considered keeping a more watchful eye on her," he said, "Maybe just lock her up somewhere?"

"She is locked up in a prison, bound to hang for helping you."

"There comes a time when one must take responsibility for one's mistakes." Will grabbed my sword, and held it to Jack's throat.

"Will!" I exclaimed.

"I need that compass of yours, Jack," he said, "I must trade it for her freedom." Jack moved the sword away.

"Mr. Gibbs?"

"Captain?"

"We have a need to travel upriver."

"By need, do you, mean a trifling need, fleeting, as in, say, a passing fancy?"

"No, a resolute and unyielding need." Gibbs looked worried, and I looked at Jack confused.

"What we need to do is make sail for Port Royal with all haste," Will said.

"William... I shall trade you the compass if you will help me to find this." Jack pulled out the drawing of the key.

"You want me to find this."

"No. You want you to find this. Because the finding of this, finds you incapacitorially finding and/or locating in your discovering the detecting of a way to save your dolly belle ol' what's her face. Savvy?"

"This is going to save Elizabeth." Will took the cloth from Jack.

"How much do you know about Davy Jones?"

"Not much."

"Yeah, it's going to save Elizabeth."

While Jack steered the ship, I went and sat across from Will, "How have you been?" I asked.

"Besides being locked up in jail and my wedding being stopped?"

"Yes."

"Elizabeth and I have been pretty good. Although her father lacks faith in me, on getting the compass from Jack. I've been teaching her how to sword fight."

"How's that going?" I laughed.

"Well, she needs a bit more practice." He looked towards Jack, "Has he been treating you well?"

"Yes. Even though he's keeping something from me. Why do you need his compass?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why?"

"Because you'll tell him. Elizabeth thinks you forgot about her because you stopped writing."

"We were being chased, I didn't have time to write a letter when we made port, and if the ship it was on stopped, the Royal Navy would know where we were. It just wasn't safe. I haven't forgotten about you guys."

"There was an arrest warrant for you too when we got arrested."

"I guess they didn't realize I had been gone for a year," I said, "and that I couldn't help Jack escape, while I was locked in my room."

"Why is Jack on edge?"

"I can't tell you."

"Touché." I smiled. "What about your dreams?"

"What about them?"

"Are you still having them?"

"Just the one."

"Anything else happen?"

"Not that I'm willing to admit." Jack came over to us.

"The longboats are ready," he said, then walked away. I followed him, and we sat next to each other on the boat, neither of us saying a word.