1 Year Later

"You came back," Elizabeth told Jack, "I always knew you were a good man." She kissed him and backed him up into the mast, chaining him too it. "It's after you, not the ship. It's not us. It's the only way, don't you see." She leaned in again, "I'm not sorry."

"Pirate," Jack said. Elizabeth left Jack standing there, chained to the mast. When the crew was gone, Jack tried to break the chains holding him

"Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger." Jack reached for a lantern with his sword, broke it and poured the oil on his chained wrist enabling him to slip it out of the shackle. He slipped free just as the tentacles of the Kraken rose over the ship, it's mouth opening wide in a roar, splattering Jack with its saliva and also spitting out his lost hat. "Not so bad," Jack said, as he wiped the saliva off his face. "Oh!" He bent down to pick up his hat and put it on. "Hello, beastie," He drew his sword and charged at the Kraken, as it took down the Pearl.

~~~

I sat up, my eyes wide, and my hair wet with sweat. I looked over at Jack who was sitting at the table. "Again, love?" he asked, turning to look at me.

"They're getting worse, Jack," I whispered, "It's the same one over again, just every time it's more detailed."

"I thought you had gotten control over them."

"I did, but then I didn't." He held out his arms, and I got off our bed and sat on his lap.

"It's been a year now, and this dream hasn't happened, yet."

"That's a good thing."

"How is it a good thing?"

"I don't want you to die," I whispered, touching his cheek.

"I don't want to die either, but if it goes down like you said, love, there's nothing we can do to stop it." I sighed and started playing with his hair.

"Is the compass working, yet?"

"No. I can't figure out what's wrong with it."

"Can I see it?" He handed it to me, and I opened it. The arrow spun around and pointed at him, and then at the bottle of rum on the table then back at him. I laughed, and he grinned at me. "Can I have some?" I asked.

"Me or the rum."

"Both."

"Which do you want first?"

"Both." I giggled, and grabbed the bottle, taking a drink from it. Then I kissed him.

"What does the compass point at when you use it?"

"It just spins."

"I don't think it likes you very much."

"It pointed in different directions with you too."

"I wanted the rum, and I wanted you, I just didn't know which I wanted more."

"Apparently both." He kissed me briefly before Gibbs walked through the door. Why doesn't he ever knock? I thought.

"Captain," he said, "we've arrived."

"I'll be out in a minute, Gibbs." He left and Jack looked at me.

"Promise you'll be careful."

"Aren't I always?"

"No."

"I'll be back soon, Amandah."

"I love you." I kissed him again, and he left the room. I felt hurt that he didn't say it back, but he rarely ever does anymore. I stood outside the door and watched him leave.