Desertation

"The twins bugged out," Drake announced.
Lily stood on his left, still looking elated.
"So why does Lily look so happy?" Diana asked, putting down her magazine.
Drake just shrugged. "How am I supposed to know? She's a sadist?"
Diana snorted. "So you two truly were made for each other. Two sadists. Psychopaths," Diana laughed.

Caine was pretty zoned out at that point. All he caught was Drake and Diana's bickering.
"Sadism. The enjoyment of someone else's pain. That's what you two are. Sadists ," Diana was saying.
Drake, of course, couldn't care less and smirked. "So what? Words don't scare me."
"You wouldn't be a psychopath if they did, Drake," Diana muttered in frustration.
"Can you two fuck up?" Caine groaned.
Lily silently echoed the statement.

"I have five days. Then I'm gone," Caine said.
Jack interrupted by bursting into the room, carrying a laptop. "I hacked Nurse Temple's laptop!" he exclaimed proudly.
Caine had bigger things on his mind. "Set it on the table, then go," he ordered stiffly.

  Diana jumped to retrieve something of Connie Temple's, the laptop apparently giving her an idea. A grey, metal box. She broke the lock with a little help from Drake and pulled out a birth certificate protected by a folder. Sam's birth certificate.
Caine peered over her shoulder. "November twenty second. Three minutes older than me," he muttered. 

   It took a lot of convincing, but Caine finally accepted the truth. Sam Temple was his brother. They had five days left.

"Five days," Caine repeated.
"No one cares," Lily interrupted his mantra, voicing everyone in the room's thoughts.
Caine slammed his first on the table and yelled. "We all get older, Lily! We all age! Sooner or later you're going to bug out too!"

Lily smiled. A rueful smile.
"No. I'm not. I know how to beat it and there's nothing you can do to make me tell you," she said softly.
Caine's attitude did a 180. "You know? Tell me! Lily, you owe me a debt, I'm calling it in! Tell me how to beat it!"
Drake's eyes widened. She knew? How?
If only Drake had known how valuable of an asset he would get.

"I won't tell you. Actually, I don't technically owe a debt to any of you. If I owed a debt to anyone, it would be Drake," Lily stated in a "matter-of-factly" tone.
She sounded like Astrid, if he were to make a comparison to anyone.
  Caine rounded on Drake. "Well?"
"Well what?" Drake drawled. "You think I'm giving up my debt for you? Don't hold your breath, Caine."
    Filled with satisfaction at having something that Caine didn't, Drake didn't stop to think of the consequences of disobeying his "friend".

                          But Lily did.

As Caine's power reached for him, Lily used what little strength she had now to direct it to her instead. Not to block it - she didn't have the time to draw up that power in a second.
Lily was thrown into the opposite wall and lay crumpled at the base of it, debris surrounding her.  Diana gasped in horror. Caine ran his hands through his hair and stood stock still, not taking his eyes off Lily. Drake couldn't breathe.

Drake knew a blow of that degree would have killed him. So to Lily, fragile and drained physically already..........
An easily fatal hit.
Oh, god Lily. Why? Why?
All he felt was pain. Heart breaking pain.
Even Caine looked shocked at what he'd done.
Just a fit of anger, Drake knew. Caine had them often. But this one would be his last.
"Why?" might you ask.
The only answer would be because Drake Merwin had finally became completely and utterly insane. Transformed by rage.

Drake Merwin was going to kill Caine Soren and there wasn't a single force on earth that could stop him.
  Caine Soren had killed his only true friend. His chance. His...his. Something that was his.
His asset. His friend. Just his. And if Drake was honest, he was hers too.
But now she was gone and he was filled with rage unlike anything he'd ever felt before.