Chapter 1 - Page 1

Chapter 1: Dirt Brown     

  A dirty old shack. The dirty ground underneath a boy's bare feet. He wore a red scarf around his neck, and had black hair and deep brown eyes. He ran out of the shack and into the crummy town, a slum. As he ran, the townsfolk look in disgust, the dirt underneath him kicking up into the air. 

        "It's that boy again. No one knows the kid's name, but he's a nuisance. Always running around the dirty little town looking for a thrill. He steals, he climbs things he shouldn't, and is always in the way. He's more trouble than he's worth, let me tell ya." Said the old, worn-out looking man, with his brow covered in sweat, his neck tanned from the blaring sun. "They let him stay in that old abandoned shack off the side of town, so he can at least have a place to stay on those cold nights.

A lot of orphans and low-lifes in this town of ours stay there for refuge. That kid isn't any different. I heard he lost his parents to some Wolvens when he was four. Damn Wolvens tore his parents apart, unable to protect themselves, and no shelter that night." The young woman he was talking to asked, "Has anyone tried to take care of the boy? I mean, he was only four when that happened, right?" She said with a mixed look on her face. The old man goes on, "Yes, of course. He was taken in by the refugees of the town that are in that old shack now. They aren't a pretty bunch, but they have given him the essentials to live, at least. The incident with his parents was about nine years ago, so he's about thirteen." The man crossed his arms, and sighed. "In other news, no one's found a Crimson Bed in decades. It'd be nice to leave this dirty little world and maybe live a little better."

The boy quickly stopped in his tracks, as he heard the words "Crimson Bed", and ran over to the old man and the young woman, eyes shining like gems. "Crimson Bed? What's that, mister?" he asked. The old man yells at him, "You have no business with one of those, child! Shoo, shoo!" The old man shooed the boy away, treating him like an animal. The boy flinched, and ran off in the opposite direction back to the shack. "Good riddance, that kid's a menace."

He scurried back and into the shack, shouting, "Hey guys! I'm back..!" As his voice carried into the shack, three children similar of age emerge from the back, as the others in the shack looks back at what they were previously doing. A boy looking around the age of fifteen, looks at the boy who yelled and said, "Red! Welcome back! The gang's been waiting for you! We have a lot to discuss."