Chapter 2 - Page 6

"This axe was a bit pricey, Red. You know you have to be careful with what you buy, we might not have enough for that much food." Tara scolded Red. Red nodded, "Alright Miss Tara, I'll make sure to spend wisely." Tara looked towards the town, as they walked around. Red finally noticed the beautiful scenery, as the townsfolk all talked and laughed. They traded, and went about their daily lives. Shop stands were lively, as many adventurers new and old alike traded goods for their survival out on the road. It was surely a friendly place. 

As Red looked around the place, Tara tugged on his arm, as she said "Hey! Red! Are you even awake?" Red snapped out of his memorization. "Yeah, I'm awake. Tara looked at Red as he walked behind her a bit. "Well good. We're almost at the food store." They walked into a little store, with meats hanging by the windows, various foods by the counter, and the wonderful smell of fresh bread. 

A young woman was at the counter, with a brown apron and tiny reading glasses. Her hair was brown and short. Her grassy green eyes looked up at Tara. "Hi, you two!" She said with an inviting tone, as if she knew Red and Tara. "How can I help you today?" Tara took out a small list. Red peered at the list, still unable to read any of it. 

"Yes, we'll have 2 cuts of raw beef, a few loaves of bread, and a few bottles of water." Tara said. The young woman quickly replied, "Yes, we'll have that right away for you! Would you like me to add some salt on that beef, to preserve it? You two look like you're on a long adventure!" Tara nodded, "Yes, that would be perfect." The young woman smiled, as she went to the back of the store. Red looked at Tara, as he asked, "Is everyone around here so nice, Miss Tara?" Tara nodded, "Well yes, Red. This is a Nexus world."

Red opened his mouth to ask what that was, as Tara continued, "A Nexus world is a world that is a hub for all Crimson Beds, a "checkpoint" so to speak. you might come here a few more times during your adventure, if you plan to keep using Crimson Beds, Red." Red stared in front of him as he nodded, "Alright, I think I got it." He looked unsure. The young bubbly woman skipped back to the front of the counter as she said, "A few minutes, and we'll have everything ready." The young woman smiled, as she looked directly at Red. "What's your name little guy? Going on a grand adventure?" Red responded, "My name's Red. And I guess so." He looked a bit embarrassed.

"How's the food coming along?" Tara added. "Oh! should be done any second now!" A scrawny man with blonde hair came out, as he struggled to put the bags of food on the table. "There we go! Thanks Malcolm!" Malcolm grumbled as he walked back to the back. "That'll be..." The young woman said as she counted on her fingers. "25 gold! Or 2,500 silver if you're STILL counting in silver!" Tara tossed the bag at Red as he carefully picked out 25 gold, as he placed it on the table. The young woman counts them as she slides each one to her apron. "Twenty-four.... Twenty-five! Alright you two, Thanks for your business!" Tara and Red walk out of the store, as red holds the bag of food, and they exchange some banter.