Chapter 5

Life was much easier when we were kids. Wasn't it? Everything we desire and wish for will be granted by our parents even before we could voice it out. They pamper us with their love and care so much that we get used to it, but why does it change once we're grown up? Why don't they listen to our wish once we're matured enough to decide our future? What happens when we grew up that it changes the equation of our relationship with them? It is that one question Anika could never find an answer.

She was the princess of the Trivedi and also the Agarwal family. She was the only girl in that generation from both the sides. She was given all the love without her having to ask. When she announced that she's in love with Daksh, much to her surprise, everyone agreed and her wedding was one grand affair. Her happiness mattered the most to her family as long as she listened and obeyed to all their rules and regulations. The day she decided to question the norms, she was automatically outcasted. That made her wonder if they ever truly loved her or it was all just a facade in front of the society.

She still remembers the day she voiced out that Daksh was cheating on her and also that she can't live with him anymore, she was questioned whether she was serving her husband on bed well enough or not by her aunts. They were that very aunts whom used to provide her the warmthness and love that was like her mother's. They were that very aunts who had fed her and watched her grow. They were that very aunts who cried along with her during her bidaai. Was it all a facade? Her uncles had tried to make her understand that sometimes it gets difficult for guys to satisfy their lust with just a female, instead of supporting her side during the thoughest time of her life. She was pratically broken down at that moment and what her parents did? They were of no help. They neither stopped the taunts that she had to hear nor did they stood by her side. They just left her all to herself literally by listening to relative's talks.

'She'll get her brains back once she's left to herself all alone. The day she runs out of money, she'll come back to you, Bhaisaab, and then we can make her understand that marital life needs compromises. We can unite her with Daksh'

That very sentence that she overheard her Bua saying to her brother who happens to be Anika's father as well, somewhat gave her the courage to take up all her things and leave the house.

'Anika? We're here' Shivaay's voice broke her train of thoughts.

Anika turned to look at him smiling hopefully at her and smiled back. She unbuckled her seatbelt and got down from the car to face the entrance of the Trivedi Mansion. It was that very place where she was born and brought up, but now, she is just a guest. A visiting guest. That reality hurts her the most, but in a way she was also glad that she could finally be an independent woman.

'What are you thinking?' Shivaay asked her as she stood by the entrance, not entering the mansion.

'Must we do this? Can't we go meet Aunty and Dadi first?' Anika asked as she nervously fidgeted with the hem of her dress.

'Anika, they are your parents no matter what and we've been through this discussion before. Come on, in now! Come' Shivaay urged her as he pushed her into the house by her shoulder.

As soon as they entered her house, the were welcomed by the loyal butler servant of the Trivedi Mansion, Patil.

'Anika baby! Come in. I'll get Ma'am and Sir quick. Come in. Come in. It's been such a long time. How are you? And how are you Shivaay Sir?' He bombarded them with questions upon the excitement of meeting them.

'I'm fine, how are you Patil Kaka?' Anika asked him back.

'I'm fine baby. Wait, I'll get something for you' Patil said as he rushed towards the kitchen.