Chapter 1

"Witches," Nona said. For the hundredth time since the bars of the jail opened and allowed me to walk free.

"Witches?" Dad asked me.

I climbed into the backseat of Claude's car.

"Is there anything anyone else wants to say besides that word?" I asked.

Nona buckled her seatbelt. "I don't understand what they are saying you did," She said shaking her head, confused about the circumstances.

"I think if my daughter was stabbed last summer I would have known about it." Dad shook his head.

I rubbed my temples in a slow circle. My head ached beyond words.

Everyone wanted answers. They also wanted the truth. But I knew anything I had to say about witches, they wouldn't believe.

I stared out the window at all the picketers surrounding the jailhouse. Everyone held signs that showcased their hatred for witches. Cherry was a full on battleground after Audrey tried to kill Tucker.

Once Tucker escaped and told everyone, everything went from bad to worse. We couldn't get away before they cuffed us and threw us in jail on ridiculous charges.

I was thankful Nona was rich. I would have died there.

Claude was the only one being silent as we coasted down the main road back to my house. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what I would say.

"Do you think it's a good idea to be taking her back to the beach house?" Claude asked. It was one of the first times he said anything.

Dad sighed. "I think I can handle things. I will not let anyone lay a finger on my daughter."

"Look what has happened so far, I don't think you'll have much of a choice," Nona tossed in. She pulled down her visor and dropped her head back.

"Mom, this is my daughter. I think I know what's best for her," Dad snapped.

I groaned. "You guys, calm down. We haven't even made it home yet and you're all freaking out. I'm an adult; I will choose what I want to do." My fingers grazed my temples again.

But from the looks of my dad and grandmother I knew any choice I wanted to make would be hard.

Nona gave me enough time to collect my belongings before we went to stay at her house, staying at Nona's would not make anyone happy.

I lifted my phone from the counter. "Six missed calls from Karsen." I sighed stuffing my phone in my pocket and headed into the kitchen.

"Do you have everything?" Dad asked, pushing off of the counter. He finished the last of his liquor and put the glass in the sink.

I raised an eyebrow. "This is my fault."

Dad was confused.

"You're drinking, you never drink around us. I didn't mean to stress you out," I dropped my gaze.

Dad shook his head. "I needed to settle my nerves; it's a lot to take in. Let's hope Nona's lawyers can work miracles."

I stayed planted to my spot. Dad waited on me to move out the door.

"I don't know what to do," I wiped at my eyes. Dad tugged me to his chest before the front door shut.

"Look, kids get mixed up in crazy fads. I think it can all be smoothed over before it sees a courtroom. Nona is respected around here." Dad kissed the top of my head.

"But, Dad, what if this isn't a fad?" I couldn't believe how quick he brushed it all under the rug.

"This is real life, Hope," Dad said. "Witches don't exist. Girls don't fall in love with vampires. Everything is going to be fine."

I pulled up my sleeve. "Doesn't this seem strange to you now?" I waved my tattoo at him trying to get him to understand me. The secret was no longer a secret. The entire town accused me of witchcraft. I knew that it wouldn't go away.

Dad waved a hand. "You said it was just a tattoo. Now grab your things and let's get out of here."

I lifted my bag and headed for the door. "I think we should talk about this before we get to Nona's," I said following him down the steps.

"Hope, I said lets go. There is nothing to talk about besides the fact you got involved with the wrong guy. A guy with trouble written all over him since the first day you saw him. Now get in the car," Dad said.

I dropped my bag and climbed in the backseat angry with Dad for blaming everything on Slade. Nona noticed my expression right away.

"Is he always in denial about everything in his life?" I muttered.

"Yes. Denial is the reason why his marriage to your mother lasted for so long," she said back.

Dad climbed in on his side. "Why does every conversation circle back around to the mother of my kids?"

I rolled my eyes. "Why won't you listen to me? Let me explain this before it gets more out of control than it already is."

Nona shook her head; it seemed she agreed with Dad. "We aren't going to discuss anything. We are going to talk to the lawyers in the morning. Nothing good comes from acknowledging craziness."

"But what if I can explain," I cut in. "What if there is a reason?"

"It doesn't matter. You're a young girl you have your whole future ahead of you. We are going to do what we need to do to keep it that way," Nona said.

And that ended the debate. You didn't argue with Nona.