Chapter 19

So much for a one on one I thought to myself. I watched K down another beer as we sat outside eating.

I stared at the water off in the distance. The beach was full of Cherry residents, they were everywhere and this made it harder to enjoy being outside.

"So how is it you got wrapped up with this guy?" K asked.

I spoke first. "I was on the beach with my friends."

"She apologized for her friends and boyfriend for trying to kill us," Hutch grinned. "She didn't know it at the time but I knew what they were."

I looked away; it was awkward enough that night to apologize and he knew all along we were different.

"Supernatural," K said. "Do you like having power, Hope?"

I shrugged. "So far, no."

"You must not be doing it right then. Everyone wants power." K took a sip of his beer.

"Hope's different; she wasn't looking to be any part of this." Hutch told K. "Wrong place at the wrong time."

That was true. If I stayed in Georgia my life would have panned out another way.

"What about you?" I asked, turning the attention to K. "What makes you so powerful?"

K wasn't pleased I asked about him again.

"I told you. The less you know about this guy the better off you are," Hutch said.

I lifted my glass of tea. Any answer I wanted wasn't about to be revealed. I studied K from across the table. I wondered what it was. And why it was better not to know.

His eyes searched the beach as he conversed with Hutch. It seemed he always watched someone or something, always alert.

The wind blew, and not a single strand of his perfect hair was affected. He smirked at Hutch's comment and then a perfect set of pearly whites were on display, drawing many eyes in his direction. He was a good looking guy, and everyone around him knew it.

"Oh boy, not this girl again," K said. It was Karsen, and she was headed for our table. She wasn't alone either.

I went to stand up but Hutch grabbed me by the wrist stopping me. "Just relax."

Karsen, Slade and Kidd all came to a stop at our table. Karsen and I locked eyes. I wasn't happy to see her. I didn't have the courage to apologize yet for what happened. I didn't mean to push her. It wasn't something the normal me would have ever done.

"Here all this time I thought you were at home feeling bad for what you did. But you're out with these two?" Karsen said starting in on me.

"I was invited to lunch." I was uncomfortable having to talk about anything in front of Slade at this point.

"Why don't we sit down and leave Hope to her new friends," Kidd said speaking up. "No reason to make a scene. Karsen you can do this another time."

Karsen ripped her arm away from Kidd. "This is my best friend."

Kidd threw up his hands. "I'm trying to save you from the drama. Don't be an asshole."

"Don't tell me what to do." Karsen snapped at Kidd. "You didn't listen to me when you were busy running off."

Hutch raised an eyebrow. K studied the three of them with a bit of confusion. Karsen was mad at Kidd and she let the entire world know it.

Slade pushed Kidd out of the way of Karsen's insults. "Go find a table." Kidd walked away.

Hutch grinned, leaning forward. "Wow, don't we just have them all in line," he said watching Kidd follow Slade's orders.

K smirked.

"Do you have anything better to do?" Slade asked Hutch. "Besides trying to take what is not yours?"

Hutch stood up. "I'm only nice the first time someone pisses me off, never the second time. You might want to think about what you're doing."

Slade pulled off his aviators. "Is this what you want to be doing right now?" he asked me.

Karsen stood behind Slade and waited. I was surprised she wasn't butting in.

"I'm at lunch, what am I doing?" I sighed. "Why do you do this?" I just wanted one day of freedom.

Slade shook his head. "Let's talk somewhere."

"She doesn't want to go with you, isn't that right, Doll?" Hutch's hand gripped mine.

"She doesn't know the first thing about you." Slade grabbed me by the elbow. "Give me five minutes."

I pulled away from both of them. "I'm not a rag doll. I will do whatever I want."

Slade went to grab me again. K jumped up and shoved him away. "I wouldn't be doing that."

"Are you kidding me?" Slade said nose to nose with K. "Sit down. I don't even know who you are."

K grinned. "Oh, but I think you do. If I would have known it was you Slade I would have figured this all out."

By this time everyone was back at the table. I couldn't understand how it was possible K knew Slade and Hutch. I wanted to know who this guy was.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Get out of my face," Slade moved around him trying to get my attention again. This time I stood up. Something wasn't right.

I needed to talk to Slade and figure it out. But before I could Hutch's hand was on my shoulder. He jerked me backwards and grabbed Slade.

"You need to stay away from her," he said, shoving Slade away from the table. He followed after him and shoved him again.

"Hutch," I said alarmed that he was willing to get physical with him and in front of everyone. "Just let me talk to him."

Karsen grabbed me by the arm. I was sick of everyone trying to stop me. I pulled away. "What is with all of you?"

Karsen stepped closer. "Just let them deal with this; you don't need to put yourself in the middle of them. You're going to get hurt."

I didn't bother arguing.

Slade moved in going for Hutch, he grabbed him around the waist. The entire restaurant jumped to their feet as they collided into a table. Plates dropped off the table crashing to the ground.

I shoved K out of the way before he could try and stop me from getting to the two of them. I grabbed Slade's arm before he hit Hutch.

"Stop," I said. "You're in enough trouble. Why are you even here?"

Slade dropped his hand. All the anger melted away. "Talk to me please, and then I'll leave you alone."

I took his hand, ignoring Hutch's angry stare.