Chapter 34

"Ouch, Karsen that really hurts," I said as Karsen jabbed another bobby pin into my hair pinning the top in place.

"Pain is beauty," she said. "If you would hold still I wouldn't be  stabbing you in the brain."

I folded my arms across my chest and stared at my reflection in the mirror. I knew I should of went to the salon and got my hair done by a professional. I was an hour away from singing at the festival.

Karsen gassed me with hair spray. "Perfect."

I lifted my diamond earrings from the vanity. A gift from Nona, along with the long pale pink ball gown I wore. I dropped the earring, going down on the floor to search for it.

"What is wrong with you?" Karsen asked helping me hunt for my diamond.

"I guess I'm just a bit nervous about singing," I lied. I was nervous about Hutch.

Ever since his threat I wasn't sure how things would play out. I bit at my fingernails, the taste of the new polish stung my tongue, but I didn't care. I just hoped we made it out alive, and that everyone I knew would be okay.

I wiped my hands against the sheer fabric of my dress. My palms were sweating like crazy.

"I have to run home and get Kidd. And we will see you in a little bit." Karsen squeezed my arm. "Are you sure Slade is okay with Hutch taking you to the festival?"

She didn't know the entire story. I left a lot out; I didn't want Hutch to figure anything out. Karsen thought I was doing Hutch a favor. And even when she gave me a weird look when I explained she trusted me and let it be.

"See you soon," I told her.

I stood in the mirror trying to put my necklace on. My fingers trembled and failed each and every time I tried to open the clasp. All of a sudden someone was behind me and it wasn't Karsen. I spun around, letting out a sigh of relief that it wasn't Hutch either.

"Need help?" Slade asked. His eyes softened. "You look amazing. Tell me why I'm not your date again?"

My cheeks warmed. "Because Hutch is a psychopath set on destroying everything I hold near and dear. His words, not mine." Or maybe K's, I didn't know anymore.

He touched my cheek; his fingers lingered against my skin and sent a shiver through me. I was eager for him to kiss me. I moved in and closed the distance between us. At that moment I didn't care if anyone walked in, I wanted to be near him.

I licked my lips, my fingers brushed along his jawline. My heart sped up as Slade leaned in and kissed me. I ignored Nona's voice from the hallway telling me to hurry up and enjoyed Slade's tongue.

He pulled away. "I want you to be very careful tonight."

Every nerve in my body tingled at our kiss. "Of course, and you'll be there."

Slade's eyes narrowed. "I'll be there watching Hutch think he  got his way."

I swallowed.

"He makes one wrong move and I'm going to rip his heart out and feed it to him," Slade said, he folded his arms across his chest.

"If only he had one," I said. "I will see you there. Everything is going to be alright."

"Oh yeah, it's going to be lovely. Such a fun time. Maybe he can win you another giant stuffed animal," he said.

I knew that what I was going to do was the right thing to do, no matter how uncomfortable.

I knew I loved my family, and if anything happened to them I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I needed to do what was right; I needed to find a way to fix everything. But I was going up against a powerful man.

My stomach hurt. I didn't know what Hutch would do. Or what being his date entailed.

"What's the worst that could happen?" I said. "I've already been stabbed in the chest, attacked and left for dead and turned into a witch."

Slade didn't smile.