Chapter 21

Waking up to flowers was supposed to be a happy moment in a girl's life. So imagine the horror coming downstairs to a giant display of roses on my grandmother's dining room table, and everyone staring at me.

"What?" I asked as I stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

"Someone delivered these for you today," Nona spoke up as she sifted through the stack of mail in her hands. This was the first time she talked to me in weeks.

I plucked the card from the leaves and tore at the envelope while everyone waited. I knew they weren't going to back off until they knew where the flowers came from.

"I woke up wishing you were here...." Elliot read over my shoulder. "Who would want to look at you in the morning?"

I slapped him. "Someone obviously." And that someone was Slade. I knew his writing anywhere. It was the first cute thing he ever did and I ate it up like a starving cheerleader.

"Well who sent them?" Dad asked sipping at his coffee.

Everyone stood silent and waited for me to tell them so they could go about their day. Dad was running late for work. Nona from the looks of her was about to take a morning jog. The boys wore board shorts with towels slung over their shoulders.

"Slade." I changed the subject. "Has anyone checked on Blue?" I still remembered Blue although it was awhile since I saw him. Nona refused to let him stay in her home. He was going through a horrible chewing phase and she refused to replace all her nice things for the likes of him or any wild animal—her words.

Nona dropped her head and clutched the table. "I thought that boy was on the run for breaking out of custody. How in the world did he send you flowers?"

"He took care of it," I said back. I tucked the card into my jeans and smelled the flowers. "For a crazed lunatic he is rather thoughtful."

Dad muttered something under his breath. Nona lifted her keys and painted on a smile as she headed out the door.

"You might want to check on Blue sometime today. Elliot and Easton have been doing the brunt of the work with your dog. I think he misses you. I think we all do." Dad gave me a look; he tried to break through the awkwardness that was us ever since he flat out told me to kill my boyfriend.

"Maybe once everyone starts acting normal it won't be so hard to come around," I said. "Have a great day at work."

I shut the door behind me, and walked onto the porch. I was glad to be out of that house and away from all of them. Anymore they were thorns in my side. Thorns that did nothing but aggravate me and make me want to claw someone's eyes out.

"I like the shirt," Slade said, a cute grin on his face. I was happy to see him waiting for me.

I touched my black tank top that K bought me and smiled. "Of course you would." I headed down the stairs.

"Where you heading?" He asked.

I touched my hair as the air kicked up. "I was going to see my dog, maybe take him for a walk and then go see my so called best friend."

"Did you like the flowers?"

I smiled. "Of course, it was sweet of you. Nothing you have ever done before."

"Am I any closer?" he asked taking my hand as we walked down the boardwalk toward my house.

"To what?" I gave Slade a confused look. "Grating my nerves?"

He stared at the ground as we walked. "To making you fall in love with me."

My cheeks warmed. "I don't think that's how it happens."

"I don't think so either. But I like picking on you," he admitted, squeezing my hand tighter.

"I do like that you're trying," I told him. We stopped walking. I stared at him, my fingers slipping up his tattooed-covered arms to his fantastic biceps. "It makes me feel good."

He nipped at my lip. "I know other ways to do that."

"I haven't seen my dog in weeks; could you keep it in your pants for a little while longer?" I pressed my forehead against his chest.

"Let's go see your dog," Slade said slipping an arm around my shoulder.