Chapter 24

I rolled over in bed searching for my alarm clock. I lifted dirty clothes off the floor finding it. It was almost noon and I was still in bed.

The pounding continued at my bedroom door. I shuffled across the floor and turned the lock.

"You look like shit," Karsen said. She lifted laundry from my bed and took a seat.

"What made you come?" I asked. She hadn't talked to me since the incident at the café.

"Nobody has heard from you," Karsen pointed out, she stared down at her nail polish. "Not even Slade."

I made a face. "I told him I wasn't feeling good."

Karsen rolled her eyes. "He thinks your doubting him. He also thinks you're convinced he murdered those women."

I wasn't about to let Karsen in on my little secret. And I wasn't about to tell her that I thought he might have killed one of them. "I don't care if you believe me."

Karsen scoffed. "I'm getting tired of your bullshit."

I stood up. "Well go home, and you won't have to listen to it." I stomped across the floor opening up a drawer. I rifled through it for something clean to wear.

"What were you doing with those two?" She was referring to Hutch and K. More or less K though.

I pulled off my tank top and tossed it on the floor amongst the rest of my things. "I ran into them at the shore store."

Karsen sighed. "I can't understand what the hell happened to you."

I ran a brush through my hair, tearing through the rat's nest at the back of my head. "I don't know how you can't figure it out. I was almost killed last summer, turned into a witch, not to mention my parent's breakup."

I concentrated on the radio until the music came on. Karsen tried to hide the fact it was still odd to see her best friend doing magic around her.

"Something has changed, and it happened recently. Witch or no witch, parents or none you're different." She stood up. "The Hope I know would have never put her hands on me."

I turned away.

"Or drive drunk," Karsen said cutting into my annoyance like a knife.

I raised a hand and the door flew open. Karsen jumped at the bang as it crashed into the wall. "You can leave."

"Hope," she said trying once more to get me to understand, like she always did.

"Just go." I raised my hand once more slamming the door in her face.

I was fed up.