16. REAWAKENED

The following morning was more peaceful than the last. Blake kindly spoke with one of the guards and managed to make a phone call to his house, but no one answered... not even on their cells.

What's going on? Why is no one answering?

He made one last call to Emma. She of all people kept her phone close by at all times.

"Hello?"

"Em!... Ahem... Emma?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"The patient you talked to yesterday... uhm... Tanya. Could you come by and try and have that conversation again? I wasn't myself and I would want to properly continue that discussion."

"Tanya? You sound different... are you willing to communicate in a normal manner this time? I don't have time to waste when my friend is out there."

"I promise, this won't be a waste of time. If possible, come alone."

"Ok, I will. In about one hour, I'll get there."

"Good. See you then."

Upon hanging the phone, Emma didn't know what to make of that. Was it a bluff, or did Tanya really had a moment of lucidity? She rushed to get dressed, deciding to skip work and see what information can get from the mysterious woman.

***

Blake was escorted to the visiting room about one hour after he talked to Emma. When he entered the door and saw his crush, Blake almost burst in tears of joy... he wasn't alone anymore, in a sort of way. Before anything had gone wrong, he calmed himself and thought on how to tell her the truth, without backfiring into oblivion.

"Hello Em." said with a friendly smile.

"Emma, for you."

Emma's tongue was more sharpened than a day before, and even sharper than Blake remembered.

"Heh, right..."

"You said you wanted to talk and this wasn't going to be a waste of time, so... please, tell me what do you know."

She changed her tone, making the words sound sweeter this time.

"You remember what was told to you yesterday, right? About Blake being in this body..."

"This non-sense again? For the love of... why do you insist on this crap? What do you have to gain?"

"Believe me, it's not such a crazy story. I know it seems so, but you have to trust me. If you would let me explain..."

"I knew it was a mistake to come back... that's it, I'm leaving."

Grabbing her purse, Emma went for the door; seeing that there's no way to make this easy to approach, Blake, out of desperation, decided to let it all out.

"Em, please, hear me out. She was right... Tanya. She took over my body, casted me into the darkness of my mind... followed by the changes that you have trouble understanding, but I'm back somehow. Please, believe me!"

Emma turned around.

"First, stupid lies, then sci-fi subjects and now acting? This is a new level of low."

"But you must believe it. C'mon Em... we've been friends for some time now."

"Okay, I'll amuse you for a bit. Tell me then... what did "you" get for my birthday?"

"That steam punk clock you always wanted and drooled over whenever we passed by the shop. Wrapped in an old themed box, with cog like pictures all over it."