Chapter 2 - Good things come unexpected

I was slowly walking home from school and all I wanted was to drop dead in my bed because I stayed up late with Cleo the previous night analyzing her relationship with Mike so far.

I opened the door and walked to the hallway.

"Mom," I called.

"In the kitchen" she replied and I dropped my backpack on the foot of the stairs. "How's the team?" she asked randomly. She knew I hated when she asked how my day had been and if I had fun at school. How ironic was that?

"All good! We're going to the majors League!" I replied sitting down on the table "Dad?"

"He's at the office; I just came by to cook and I'm heading back."

"Did James called?" I asked.

"I called him when I got home, he's sending his love," James was studying to be a lawyer like mom and dad. Someone needed to take the family business.

"Oh, I will call him later then," I said drinking my fresh orange juice. My phone vibrated on the table while I was eating.

"Mm," I murmured lazily at the phone.

"Come over at the coffee shop when you're done," Max said over the phone.

"I want to go to sleep," I growled.

"You can sleep here, my awesome best friend," I could tell he was smiling.

"You're so lucky I'm tired and can't fight back," I said and hang up on him without saying goodbye. I didn't even have the energy to argue him.

[+++]

The town coffee shop was always crowded. It used to be a cinema here but it was renovated by the parents of an old classmate. It's called "The ceiling" because my friend's mother believes that "we all have to pause our lives for a bit and look at the ceiling, dreaming."

It was even written all over the coffee shop walls. On the top floor inside balcony, there're two couches facing each other, where we usually sit.

I was sitting on the couch with a coffee in my hand while looking randomly at the street from the glass doors. I was thinking about Damien. I caught him looking at me several times at the party but turned my eyes away, not really paying attention. Or I tried not to. I'm sure it was just my imagination, as always.

"Hey doll-face," Max told me as he sat on the other couch.

"Hey," I sigh and turn my eyes on the magazine I had on my laps.

"I'm freaking out. Thanks for asking," he said sarcastically "You?"

"I'm good," I said not paying attention "I'm going to get you some coffee."

"Good," he said taking out two books from his bag.

I got back to where we seated and left the glasses on the table, grabbed the magazine again and returned to my seat.

"Why you're freaking out, by the way?" I asked.

"Exams!" he cried like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh, yeah," I said looking at my magazine "We'll be fine sweety."

A few moments passed and I felt Max looking at me.

"Who is he?" he asked.

"Sorry?" I looked at him confused.

"You're thinking about someone. Who?"

"No, I'm not!" I said a bit aggravated as Damien showed up from the stairs.

"Hey kids," Damien said and sat beside me. I ignored the feeling in my stomach because I was so glad that he saved me from that conversation.