Chapter 21 - Acting like a b*tch gonna get you hurt

It was past twelve when I woke up the next day. Damien headed home as soon as we woke up because it was Saturday and my parents were home and we'd decided to keep it from them. I was sure if my mom knew, she would start making those awkward comments about him and me getting married.

I didn't want for Damien to feel awkward for I knew he wasn't fond of marriage. The fact that he was the only man I've ever pictured having family with, could stay hidden in the skeleton closet.

Since Christmas were only a week away, the city was all dolled up. I hated that Christmas had become so commercialized but it was the one holiday that made me forget everything. I could stare at Christmas decorations all day and night. The lights, the love in the air, it made me believe in miracles. And this year it was even more special for me. This year I got Damien. I couldn't ask for anything else.

I went to my parents' house for breakfast and called Cleo. I would pick her up in an hour from her house to go downtown. I had to buy Damien a gift not only for Christmas but also for his birthday. He was turning twenty-five on December 26.

I wouldn't ask Cleo about it. It felt too weird, especially since I didn't get a proper reaction out of her. I would ask Max if he said he liked anything. It was a good opportunity to see what that dude was up to. He was hanging out with his male friends too much lately.

I was feeling a little too tensed as I waited to hear if Cleo had to say anything about the news I told her. But she never said anything.

When I picked James gift she pointed out that she had no idea what she would buy for her brothers. I guess that if she actually tried to pick a present for Damien, the subject of him and me going out would come up since this year I would buy him a present too. She had already bought presents for her parents and I for James and dad.

I was nervous and thought that maybe she would finally say something when I led the way towards her favorite lingerie shop. When I first told her I was with Alex, she dragged me here to make me buy new lingerie.

"Have you talked to Mike?" I asked as I eyed the matching bras and knickers. I was pretty sure that she was quiet not because she didn't want to talk me but because she was still mourning her relationship.

"No. I don't want to text him," she replied. "Do you need anything from here?" she asked out of the blue "I can't be in here," she winced.

"Uh, I can pick it up later, let's go," I said, grabbed her hand and turned towards the doors.

"No, if you need something..." she trailed and tried to look relaxed.

"Cleo, seriously, we can go. I can pick something later," I told her, looking at her.

"Nope. I'll live for another ten minutes," She said and looked around "What are we looking for?" I sighed and decided to humor her.

"The usual, it's me you're talking about," I winced.

"True," she mocked and gazed at the bras next to her.

"This one!" I told her and she handed me the demi bra she was holding; black lace embellished with floral design. I moved next to her to where the underwear were and picked a Brazilian, also black lace.

"Okay?" she asked.

"Nope," I said and she frowned. "I just need new seam and heel stockings," I smiled. Damien said he wanted something in exchange for his help on my project; I had to fulfill his wish.

Cleo, not once made a comment about the lingerie. She just said that they were making a good set. It wasn't really about the lingerie as it was for whom it was purchased. I decided not to say anything; to just give her some space. Maybe she wasn't in the mood to talk about anything; let alone her big brother and her best friend having a relationship.