Chapter 14: Keep Pushing

(Picture of twins to the side)

Days flew by and before I know it a week. Every since the doctor delivered the news it just hasn't been the same. Everyone was broken but we knew that eventually we would have to get strong for the twins. Nana Maple has been helping out by cooking and cleaning and occasionally going to the hospital to visit the twins, while she was still grieving over the loss of her only daughter. Red has been locked away in his room every since. Every now and then I would hear him on the phone with Jason who managed the blocks while Red laid low. Or he would be talking to Nana while they discussed the twins.  But that was just about it. He hasn't been up there to visit the twins since that night. And as for me I’ve been in and out of the hospital between Nana Maple and Red Man. Helping them was somehow helping me. Jason and I haven't really talked that much except for when I needed him to take me some place. It’s just been to overwhelming lately to even think of picking up where we left off.

My phone rang braking my train of thought. I looked at the screen and it was Nana Maple.

"Hey Nana." I answered.

"Hey baby how you doing?"

"I’m hanging in there."

"So am I baby girl. Well I thought you should know that the funeral is tomorrow and I don’t think your brother is too happy about it. I want you to talk to him because he's taking this very hard. I want to see the both of yall at my house dressed and prepared to ride in the family limo. Do you understand me baby?"

"Yes ma'am I do. We'll be there."

"Alright baby bye bye."

"Bye." I said and hung up the phone.

I knew this time would come. The time where me and red man would have to break the silence and talk about what happened. I just don’t know if I’m ready for it.

I walked down the hall to Red's room and knocked lightly but....no answer. I knocked again this time a little harder. "Red, I know you hear me knocking." I said. A few seconds later the door flung open and there stood Red, all stinky, dirty, and groggy. He turned away from the door and walked back to a wooden chair in the corner. "What?" he said while taking his seat.

"I thought we could talk." I said.

"There's nothing to talk about." he replied.

"There's plenty to talk about. Like what are you going to where tomorrow?"

"What's tomorrow?" he said in a deep sorrowful voice.

"You don’t know?" I asked.

"No"

"Tomorrow is Cherrish's funeral." I stated.

He took his eyes off the floor and looked at me. His eyes were felled with sadness and heartbreak. He dropped his head in his hands and silence fell upon the room. I didn't know what to say. So I walked over to my brother and hugged him. I hugged him tighter than I ever have. Because this hug wasn't an "I love you big bro" hug. It was an "I know how you feel” hug. Tears trickled down my cheek and onto his shirt as we sat in the silence and let our emotions free. Red pulled away from the hug and looked at me. He just shook his head and smiled. Then he said "You’re growing up so fast and you remind me so much of your sister Erika." This was his first time mentioning Erika. But I remember her. Before she left like the rest of my sisters, we were close.

Jason POV 

Keeping the streets on lock wasn't hard for me, but seeing Leah sad every day and not being able to hold her like I want to is. I can see in her eyes that she is trying to be strong about it and hold it in. But damn, in the process of her being strong she shutting a nigga out. And I don’t know how long I can wait.