Changes (25)

I was feeling excited as I heard the music outside while removing the dishes from the oven. It was almost time for us to get together in the backyard to enjoy the beautiful starry night. I looked out the window and saw two trucks making their way into the driveway and hurried to dry my hands and take off my apron.

I walked over to the front door to receive my guests but not before checking in the mirror in the hallway to make sure I looked good enough for company. I wasn’t going to deny that I wanted to look good for him. I was so unexplainably excited to see him after our conversation this morning because things felt different.

I smiled at my reflection as I felt Jackson’s intimidating figure behind me and soon his own reflection appeared in the mirror. He smiled at me and winked before heading to the door and get it. The bell rang at the same time a very curious and good looking Jackson opened it.

I followed him and smiled at Miranda who was the first face I saw before noticing an uncomfortable and annoyed Marley beside her. I looked over Miranda’s shoulder waiting to see Blake walking over here but he wasn’t.

“ He’s on his way” Miranda said while giving me a hug. “ There’s no need to hide it now” she added when she saw the small blush on my cheeks.

“ What are you doing here?” I heard Marley’s annoyed voice.

“I work for Liv. You look happy to see me” he replied with a devilish smirk.

“In your dreams” Marley said rolling her eyes and walking past us to enter the house. Jackson followed her with a grin on his face.

I stayed behind with Miranda and we made our way to the kitchen.

“ He told me about what y'all spoke about” Miranda threw the bomb without any warning.

“ You’re so subtle” I said, sarcastically rolling my eyes but with a playful smile “I was dying to start asking questions about your date”

“Oh no! I started first so you tell me, what will happen now?” She asked while taking some of the dishes to carry them outside.

“I don’t know, M. I need to get done with everything that has happened with Ryan before even thinking about it. Also, how would anyone react to me going after your ex husband?” I said making the quotation marks with my fingers.

I took the cups and plates and we walked outside to set the table.

“That won’t be a problem anymore. After talking with Mason...I think I will take his deal. He wants me to move with him and get one last surgery to remove the cancer that’s left...I’m not sure yet. It would prolong my life but I can also die on the operation table, but I’m sure about one thing” she explained worried as her hands placed the containers she had on the wooden table.

“ I’m glad you are willing to try one more time...I’ve been so worried about you and this decision of not even trying to find a solution. I’m happy he’s talking some sense into you…but if you’re not sure about the surgery what is it that you’re sure about?” I felt relieved to hear that she wanted to fight one more time.

“ I’m sure of taking a leap of faith to be with him. I don’t want to die without taking that one shot at being with someone like him. He already explained everything from the past and I feel he’s being truly honest” she said with a goofy lovely smile and I suddenly noticed a shine of life in her eyes.

“I’m so happy you’re making this decision. After years of a marriage without true romantic love this is what you deserve.” I hugged her and then we walked over the benches around the branches waiting to be burned tonight.