Chapter 1

- MEMORY -

I look out the window of the plane. I'm leaving Arkansas to go to Ohio. I'm leaving my friends behind, I'm leaving my home behind, I don't wanna go! I'm only going for my parents to get a new deal for their job. I begin to feel like crying.

"Don't worry, sweetie," my mom puts a hand on my shoulder. "This'll all be worth it."

Goodbye Arkansas, maybe I'll see you again one day.

- PRESENT -

I walk down the hall in school and go to my locker, grabbing my things for class. After all my classes, I go to choir. Lots of people called me gay for choosing this, lots of people bully me just for this, so I think I'm going to switch this class for a different one. Then I see a new girl with dirty blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Hey James!" Mrs. Rhodes, my teacher, said. "You're late."

"I know, I'm sorry," I say, head low. 

"Just don't be late next time," she warns. "Everyone, sit down! Jennifer, stay where you are."

We all sit down while Mrs. Rhodes goes to Jennifer and leads her to the front of us.

"Why don't you introduce yourself, Miss Anderson?"

"My name's Jennifer," she starts off. "I moved here from another town and I'm here to sing. It's great you meet you all and I hope we can be friends."

"Alright, go sit down," Mrs. Rhode says. 

Jennifer looks for a seat to sit in and decides to sit next to me. "Hi," she says. "What're you doing by yourself?"

"Oh, uh..." I look at how nobody's near us besides people in front of us. I shrug. "I guess I'm not well liked." 

"Well, maybe we can be friends." She smiles.

"Okay everyone, let's begin," Mrs. Rhode says.

When I get home, I see my parents on their phones. 

"Hey, I'm back home," I tell them.

"Hi son," my dad says.

"How was school?" I say after a while to myself. "Oh it was great, thanks for asking."

They ignore me and I sigh, going up to my room to do homework.

____________
Editor: @JillLove14