Asinus

"He's probably going to try and fire me, or Fitz," I say. "But that's not going to happen so."

After class, both Fitz and Mr. Molton walk into my classroom. Fitz stands defensive, with his arms crossed. Mr. Molton gives us a look of disapproval.

"So, obviously, you are together. Which is against school rules." He states.
"What are you going to do, fire me?" I snark.
"Yes. Both of you, actually," He declares.
"Excuse me?"
"You will be allowed to complete your year at Caldwell, but after the school year has finished, you will no longer be teachers at Caldwell or any of Caldwell's sister schools," He continues.
"Fire me and I'll tell everyone about you and my mother," I threaten.
"That's blackmail," He remarks, "And I'm putting in my resignation in tomorrow."
"Ass," Fitz mutters.

"Nah, I'm just playing with you." He laughs.
"What?" Fitz and I say in unison.
"April Fools!!!" He jeers and laughs.
"It's May!" Fitz exclaims.
"It's on Saturday and we don't have school then so I had to do it now." He explains.
     "You're evil." I joke.
      "I know," He says and winks.

      "Well, that's all, congrats!" He concludes and leaves my classroom. I make sure the door is closed before I kiss Fitz. He smiles wide and pulls me too him. Then, there's a knock at the door. I separate from Fitz.

A girl opens the door and smiles.

"I didn't mean to interrupt," She says.
"You didn't," I say. She raises an eyebrow.
"The lipstick on his face says otherwise. Congrats by the way," She comments.
"Uh, thanks. What did you need?" I ask.
"Mr. Stone, the math teacher, told me to give you this." She explains and hands me a paper.
     "Thanks."

     It's a congratulatory card. It was sweet of him, so after school we found his classroom to thank him. We get home and we both need to grade papers.

     After a few hours (and a pizza) later, I finish all my grades. Fitz stares at a test and grumbles about something. His glasses lean down on his nose and his hair is flip-flopped in every way. I crawl across the L-couch and crawl on top of him.

     "You are so hot." I flirt. He throws the test and pen on the center table and grab my hips. I straddle his waist and he kisses me. I pull back.

    "Oh, you have a pimple." I say, "But your still really hot." He takes his hand off my back and reaches up to his forehead.

     "Damnit."

    The pimple went away soon. In no time, it was spring break. The night before our trip I had two nightmares which left me with about 2 and a half hours of sleep. I felt bad because they each woke up Fitz. The morning before we leave I'm packing all of my last minute essentials.

    "Hey, have you seen my face wash?" I yell to Fitz who's across the room.
    "You already packed it." He says.
    "Right. Thanks!"

    Eventually, we make it out the door. I notice our seats are in row 2. And then I notice something else.

   "First class?" I question.
   "Yeah?"
   "Why are we flying first class?" I ask.
   "Why not?"
   "It's like super expensive." I say before realizing. "Never mind."

    We go through security and of course, Fitz somehow set off the alarm. A guard walks up and gives him a pat down. After he's finished, Fitz is tested for bomb residue on his hands. He's clear, obviously, so they let him through.

    "Well that was weird," He mutters.
    "Agreed." I say.

    There's no direct flight, so we have to fly to Charlotte, then to Alabama. On the plane to Charlotte, we sit in the front row.

    "This is so comfortable," I praise.
    "First class, baby." He says.
    "Don't ever call me that again," I remark.
    "Noted." He says.

    I expected little difference however I felt like I was on my couch. I was even offered "free" alcohol. Obviously, I declined and had a Pepsi, but whatever.

    We land in Charlotte and I'm hungry. Fitz and I walk to get lunch. Our next flight doesn't board for an hour and a half, so we walk around the airport.

    "So, what do you want to eat?" He asks.
    "I don't know. There's so many choices." I say. Out of the corner of my eye I catch a familiar face. She must have gotten a glimpse of me too, because she stop and runs over to me.

    I give her a big hug. I'm practically lifted off the ground with her strength.

    "Lesley!"
    "Gray!"
    "You look so good!" I say. Her hair is back to its natural auburn colors, I still remember the jet black color that it was dyed throughout high school. I notice she's in a flight attendant outfit. Her makeup is heavy, as most flight attendants' makeup is.
       "You do too. What are you doing in Charlotte?" She asks.
       "I'm flying to visit my Fiancé's family." I say. She smiles and picks up my hand to look.
      "Damn. That's a big ring. I suppose your kids won't be raised like we were," She says.
      "Not at all. This is Fitzgerald." I say and motion at Fitz.
     "Hot." She says. "I mean, nice to meet you." I giggle. Fitz nods at her, his smile goofy after being complimented.
     "Nice to meet you, Lesley, right?" He says.
     "Yep. Where are you guys flying? Maybe I'll be your flight attendant." She asks.
     "Mountain Brook, Alabama." Fitz says.
     "Darn. I'm not on that one," She says.

     "Fitz and I were about to have lunch, can I give my phone number?" I ask.
     "Sure," She says and hands me her phone. I type in my name & number.
     "Thanks!" I say and lead off with Fitz.

     "Who was that?" He asks.
     "We were really close friends in high school. And honestly, she's probably amounted to more than any of my other friends did, so that's good," I say. "But she smelled like weed, so I chose to let her move along."
      "How do you know what weed smells like?" He asks.
      "Number one, I grew up in rough area with tough friends. Number two, I'm a high school teacher. Number three, I went to college in a state with legal weed. Number four, I've done it," I say.
    "You've done it?" He asks.
    "Again, rough town. It was awful." I say.
    "Okay..."
    "I've dabbled in very few drug in my life, weed just happened to pop up." I say.
    "But you won't drink alcohol?"
    "Nope."
    "Weirdo."

    "So, I should probably tell you about my family." He says. "Now, I'm going to apologize in advance. So I'm sorry."