An Oasis

The small kitchen was filled with steam and delicious smells. Various ingredients were laying on the wooden boards all around the room: half-smashed tomatoes Jungkook left after cutting them to tiny little pieces; lettuce which was Hoseok's job (but wasn't going well for him); potatoes Jimin was patiently peeling; and finally, carrots - in the hands of Jin since everyone else thought they were the toughest job that only the real cook could take care of. Taehyung was making the table in the dining room and folding the tissues into animal shapes, while Namjoon was doing absolutely nothing since the members thought it was too dangerous to have him around sharp objects. Yoongi was quietly texting Mingi on the sofa, not interested in anything happening around him.
Jungkook was the first one to hear the tingling noise of the house bell. He shouted to warn the members and suddenly the whole cooking crew started panicking around the lunch that wasn't done yet. Jungkook ran towards the door, fixing his hair nevously.

Three familiar girls were standing in front of the door, one of them carrying a big basket covered with a blue dishtowel. Mingi was wearing a tight, short black skirt and heels to look taller, while Claire put on a cute dotted dress. But Jungkook barely aknowledged the two girls. His eyes focused to the third girl, who was dressed unusually feminine. Knowing she mostly likes black clothes and jeans, the fact that she wore a long swaying summer dress was pretty surprising. It brought a whole different look to her.

Claire and Mingi said hello and smiled, but Jungkook just kept staring at Seoyeon. Claire rolled her eyes and exchanged a significant look with Mingi. Mingi laughed and shoved the basket towards Jungkook, which made him twitch. He mumbled something and moved to side. Just as they stepped inside, Namjoon came to greet them, panting and heavily breathing.

- You came - he smiled, all cheerful.

- We said we would. - said Claire, returning a smile.

Suga suddenly appeared behind Namjoon, as breathless as he was. He gently pushed Namjoon and pulled Mingi into a hug. Namjoon rolled his eyes.

- I'm sorry, the lunch isn't done yet. - he said apologetically. - It turned out we weren't as good at cooking as we thought... Except for Jin. He's truly brilliant.

- It's okay, Namjoon. You've all done enough. I still can't believe PD-nim allowed us to have this lunch together... And rent a place just for that.

- Yeah, me neither. I thought he was truly angry after he had to cover up the picture of you and Jungkook in the newspaper. - Namjoon said.

- How did he even do that?

- He made a fake statement. A person as important as him has a lot of power with the press. Since Jungkook's face wasn't fully shown, it wasn't hard for people to believe it wasn't him, but a person who looks very much like him. - he explained. - I think the incident made him realise we need more freedom. That's why he let us rent this mansion, in the middle of nowhere...

- I'm impressed. And I wish I could thank him in person. - Mingi joined.

- Maybe you'll get a chance one day. But now, let's go to the dining room. The boys must be eager to see you.

***

Claire left the others at the dining table to check up on the boys in the kitchen. She saw Jin hovering over the boiling pot, J-Hope pouring some oil in a bowl and, finally, Jimin - who has just finished peeling the last piece of potato. When he saw Claire, a smile brightened his face and he spread his arms, partially inviting her for a hug and partially showing off his white apron with strawberries drawn on it. Claire laughed as he washed his hands and dried them. The members noticed her and cheerfully said hello, while Jimin pulled her away from them and kissed her in the middle of the kitchen.