Chapter 16: Briefing

Peter and I sat together on my deep blue velvet love seat. My back was against the arm resting and my legs rested over Peter's, fingers laced together between us. Our bodies seemed to naturally gravitate towards the others and I had no reason to hide it as we were in my room.

  Peter quietly explained everything that happened. He told how he spent hours trying to locate Void's hideout just to find the place laid out as a joke. Fake guns and confetti bombs stored in equally cheap 'safes'. The trip turned out not to be a huge bust as a mangled helmet with tell-tale bits of Peter's web formula on it as well as hair from nonother than Void himself was found shoved in some corner.

  The DNA was immediately analyzed and belonged to a 41-year-old man named Richard Lang. He was an average looking man, a friendly smile that spread to his gentle brown eyes, dark hair that looked like it had red highlights in his ID picture. His records were clean of everything from manslaughter to parking tickets. Nothing about him was suspicious. There were no broken marriages, nothing but a child sent into the system with his consent. None of his past bosses fired him, in fact, he was a consistent and hard-working employ according to the man's current boss. Richard appeared to be a model citizen with a good past and good future. 

  When Peter finished I was silent for a second. "Maybe was planted with this guy's DNA to throw us off. I mean, the rest of the place was phony."

  "Your dad and his team looked into it and it didn't seem likely under the circumstances. It would be really difficult to clear the helmet of his DNA, plant Richard's, all while leaving not wiping any of the dirt that matched the place where we encountered him. After we did fight him we kept the place monitored and some random guy couldn't have come gotten the dirt or something," Peter said.

  "Okay so, what does this Mr. Lang guy want with me, then?"

  He shrugged. "No body's quite sure about anything right now."

  "That's where you're wrong, Peter, I'm sure about you," I smiled, cheesily but effectively lightening the mood.

  "Oh, and what are you sure about me?" Peter grinned, using our interlocked hands to pull me into his lap.

  I rested my forehead on his and relaxed against him. "Just that I love you and I don't need to be scared if you're with me," I whispered

  "I love you too," Peter replied in a low voice and pressed his lips to mine. My arms slid around his neck and I swung one of my legs over so I was straddling his waist. I felt Peter smile against my lips as he wrapped one arm around my waist and cupped my cheek with the other; I smiled too.

  Our kiss switched from one proclaiming love to something more passionate and uncharted. My hands slipped under Peter's simply t-shirt and traced his wonderfully defined muscles. I could feel his hands running through my hair and cupping my neck. Somehow Peter had flipped us so he was supported above me but I could still feel every inch of him pressing against me. Our eyes met as we pulled apart for a second before falling together again.

  "Could my lovely daughter please report to the dining room," My father's voice crackled through the communication system installed in every room, interrupting whatever was happening or could be happening, "Oh, and bring Peter with you while you're at it."

  Peter and I shared a look of slight alarm before reluctantly parting to follow the instructions. I was careful to check that Peter or my hair wasn't in complete disarray as we made our way downstairs.

  "I trust Peter has given you most of the details because you too are just the best of buds," My father said with a dry smile as we walked in together. I hadn't even bothered to try and make it look like we weren't together as my dad clearly knew we had been.

  Peter smiled sheepishly. 

  "Anyway-" my dad give Peter a look-"I have a hunch about something and I need your help, (Y/N)."

  "Okay, I'm here," I said eagerly. Maybe I could fainlly actually do something other than sitting around like a damsel in distress. My dad led me over to a man and woman in matching white lab coats.

  "We need a hair from you and a saliva sample from you," The woman said with a friendly smile.

  "What?" I asked, my hopes of actually helping dashed. What could a hair and salvia sample from me have to do with Void?

  "I know it's not exactly what you wanted to do, but this can really help us," My dad said, hands folded behind his back.

  "But how exactly? Is my salvia magical or something?"

  "Funny," the lab-coated man chuckled and handed me a plastic tube, "Fill this to the blue line with salvia. Oh, and I need a hair."

  I complied reluctantly and plucked a hair off my head. Spitting in the tub might have been one of the lowest points of my life. That's also sad. Handing the full container to the woman I exchanged a glance with Peter that said 'I really hate this'. Peter hid a smile behind his hand and I was really tempted to smack him.

  "Thanks," my dad smiled and patted me on the back as I turned to leave.

  I sighed. "Yep."