Chapter 24: Literal Sparks

Looking back on it all, this period of my life was spent in and out of consciousness. It seemed like every half an hour I'd be back into the darkness. To be honest, it was really annoying.

  "Come on (Y/N), you need to wake up! Please!" I could hear Peter begging me. He sounded out of my reach. Just behind a thick brick wall or across the Hudson River. Just beyond his voice, I could hear footsteps. Other less pleasant voices followed suit, growing closer by the second. Peter became more frantic and 75% of me knew why but 100% of me didn't do anything.

  Then Peter slipped his hands under my arms and partly dragged part bodily lifted me. I knew it hurt him. he'd never had any trouble lifting me off the floor in a giant bear-hug. I wanted to make him put me down, I wasn't worth the pain I knew it caused his broken and bruised body.

  "There she is!" I heard a gruff voice shout, bridging the gap between me and the world too easily. Guns clicked to life, ready to fire at a moments notice.

  "I'll get the girl and somebody handle the kid," The same voice barked orders.

  My feet dragged on the floor as Peter shuffled backward. It did no good, obviously, there was no backdoor to this cell. A new set of calloused hands roughed my arms.

  My hand shot out as if on a string and grabbed the man's shoulder. My eyes snapped open.

  "Wha-?" I heard him stuttered out in surprise, his dull brown eyes reflect his empty head.

  I was out of Peter's grip in a second, leaning into the man and throwing him off balance. Using his moment, I swung around and let him smash into the wall. As the impact still sang through his body I took his gun out of his rag-doll hands. Sparks flashed for a split-second and the weapon dropped uselessly to the ground. 

  I would have liked to save the man's face in a photograph and hang it next to all my other treasured picture for no other reason than to laugh at it every time I saw it. A smirk flitted across my lips and I dropped my hand. He sank to the ground, slumping against the wall at my feet.

  Silence fell like a heavy blanket as I looked up at the motionless figures. And at the same time as everyone else process what exactly had just happened, I realized how insane I must look. I'd just snapped out of some kind of coma induced by God knows what and kicked somebody's ass.

  I shrank back from the body, now unsure I'd killed him or just knocked him out. Praying it was the former, I turned to Peter. He looked as shocked as everybody else. His eyes met mine, but it was as if he wasn't really meeting them as examining them. Then his gaze dropped to my hands and so did mine.

  They were literally sparkling. Literal sparks like ones that flew away from a welder were glinting away from my hands and falling around my feet. I lifted my hands and stared at them. The questions in my head weren't 'who did this?' 'when did this happen to me?' or 'where?'  No, I knew those answers. Void did this to me and I knew when and where. My questions were 'why me?' and 'how?' How in the world could somebody infuse me with something or manipulate my DNA that could make my body produce electricity and then conduct it?

  I looked back up at Peter and I saw fear in his eyes. My natural instinct to step toward him kicked in and I moved closer, and he moved with me.

   Away from me.

  His back collided with the wall and we both froze. I watched the realization of what exactly his actions were telling me, and I watch him watch me get the message. I stepped back.

  My throat clogged and I cursed my over-active emotions. Peter shook his head.

  "(Y/N)-" He started and might have said something redeeming if not for the people behind me who probably wanted to kill us both returning from shock.

  I gave Peter a little smile and turned my back to him.

  "Okay," I mumbled to myself as I lifted my hands, "Let's see what you can do."

__________

 Yeepers, I have no time/motivation to write anymore. I swear I have some idea where I'm going with this and I really hope I can get my next chapter perfect in not 2-3 weeks. 

  Thank you, dudes, for almost 35k views!!! That means so fricken much to me!!!

~Nat