Chapter 5

Liam takes him back outside to sit by the lake as they start going over the Script together. It's basically reinforcement of the duties of the riders. At the heart, their basic duty is to serve as peacekeepers in a diplomat-soldier role, removed from ties of species. Alagaesia is peaceful in the hundreds of years after the Rider War, so Liam explains how their roles have shifted to include more scholarly duties than in the past, as well as the development of the engineers, who work on improving technologies in the land, and healers, who work on improving health practices.

"There's tons of stuff, though. We have groups of riders that just explore other lands, and there's even some that are going into the Hadarac Desert soon. We have ones that focus on the wellbeing of the land, ones that go and help specific towns in times of trouble, all sorts of stuff," Liam says.

Harry nods. "So you can do any of that?"

"Of course. A rider can basically do anything as long as it's in line with the Script and leaders are aware that they're doing it."

Harry runs a hand through his hair, letting out a sigh. They've been at it for hours, Liam talking on and on. The sun is just starting to set, orange light turning the lake into fiery sparkles. Gemma had kissed him on the head a while ago and explained she had to go, promising to find him for dinner. There are no more dragons in the sky now, but there are more people around now than ever, some making their way towards the stable-looking buildings beside the castle with their dragons, others flying right into the nest, and some going into the castle.

"Alright," Liam says, shutting the book and standing up. "We're done for the day. Usually, we're going to have to go past dinner but you need some time to adjust."

"Oh, thank god," Harry mumbles, letting out a sigh of relief.

Liam laughs. "We're starting on magic tomorrow, might drop in on one of the elementary classes. But we'll get dinner now, yeah?"

Harry nods eagerly, having ignored the rumblings of his stomach for a while. He pushes himself up, too. They're almost to the castle, where Liam explains the dining hall is, when Liam pauses and turns with a grin. "Are you thrown off by dead animals?"

Harry starts, eyes wide. "Yes, no? I'm not sure?"

"Look." Liam gestures to the sky. There's a group of dragons flying over the mountain. They all land by a large stone by the lake a ways down. "That's a dragon hunting party. They go out in the Spine without riders – it's like dragon bonding time."

Liam's dragon trots over, sunset oranges gleaming off ruby scales. She nuzzles Liam, letting him pet her cheek affectionately. "Hi, Harry," she says again, watching him with large, sharp eyes.

"Hello," he says back, shuffling on his feet and resting his hand on his egg.

Liam and Miremel seem to have a silent conversation then, looking at each other and nodding occasionally. Harry recalls what he's been told about rider and dragon bonds, and their ability to speak and feel each other emotions through it.

Harry smiles at her when she goes, murmuring a thank you and watching her turn to go back to the rock, where the rest of the dragons are spread around. Liam takes him into the castle, down the arching hallway, and into a huge room with long, wooden tables full of people sitting to eat. He leads him to the far side, where there's a buffet of food.

"My god," Harry says. "This is more food than I've ever seen in my life."

Liam snorts, loading up his plate with food. Harry follows him hesitantly. "Here, Gemma's at a table over there," Liam says, pointing.

They sit next to Gemma, who ruffles Harry's hair affectionately. Niall and Ed are there, too. The woman next to Gemma introduces herself as Sophia; the younger, brown-haired lad is Josh, the taller lad is Nick, and the dark-haired one is Zayn. He's so pretty Harry's sure he must be part elvish.

Nick leans over, a teasing grin on his face. "Never thought we'd have two Styles here."

Harry shrugs. "I didn't either."

Josh watches him with wide eyes. "Do you actually not have magic?"

Gemma coughs on her bite. "Josh. Don't be rude."

"Um," Harry hesitates. "No, I don't yet."

Niall points a fork at the rest of them, a fierce look on his face. "Hey, it's rare but normal. None of you be mean to him."

"Aw, thanks Niall," Harry laughs. "So, are all of you riders?"

"Us four are riders," Sophia responds, gesturing to herself, Zayn, Niall, and Ed. "And these ones are in training," she says, pointing to the rest.

Harry nods. "What do you guys do?"

He listens as they explain, fascinated with all the things they're each planning to do. He's also trying to ignore the stares he can feel, face a little hot and embarrassed with the way a pair of younger girls are blatantly whispering to each other and staring. He's going to assume what they're saying isn't good, based on the furrowed eyebrows and occasional dark looks.

Gemma nudges him gently. "Ignore them," she whispers. "You're just a little unusual, not a freak show." She says the last part loudly, shooting a glare around.

Harry giggles, nudging her back. "Maybe I am," he teases with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

She rolls her eyes. "You're the weirdest little brother ever."

He shrugs, knocking her shoulder and taking another bite.

947 words