Chapter 23

Louis makes Harry wait in the cave with Opheila, with strict instructions to not leave until Garza gives Opheila the okay. Harry uses the time to wipe some spots of dirt off the dragon's scales and try out some of the braids he'd seen around Doru Araeba. He gives up after a bit, leaving it loose.

The sun has been setting for a while when Opheila interrupts whatever Harry was saying to her and shoots him a big, toothy dragon grin. Follow me.

She takes him down the path Louis had sent them down the very first time. When she turns at the river, Harry pauses, getting the inkling he knows exactly where they're going. He's not surprised at all when they get to the waterfall, but Louis is nowhere to be seen.

Garza's waiting there, though, and she bumps his shoulder gently with her snout and points over to the waterfall. He climbs up the slippery rocks, careful not to fall and ruin the date before it's even begun.

Louis is standing in the middle of the little cave with a bunch of roses. The cave is lit with candles that are tucked into the soft moss, giving the place a comfortable glow. There's a basket to the side and the moss is covered in one of the blankets Harry recognizes from their bed.

Louis hands him the rose with a soft smile. "Hi, beautiful."

Harry can't find words, so he just leans forward and pulls Louis into a deep kiss, the roses pressed between their bodies.  When they finally pull away, he murmurs, "Thank you. It's so beautiful, Lou."

Louis takes his hand, leading him into a sitting position. "I just wanted to make this special. I got dinner in Doru Araeba to go."

He pulls out little bags of food from the basket. Harry laughs, taking one. "So that's what you were hiding."

"Yeah. Also the roses are enchanted, so they supposed to last forever. They're from Angelica."

Harry touches one of the petals softly, admiring how they almost gleam in the light. "They're gorgeous. Really, thank you so much. This is incredible."

The food is delicious, just the right amount of spice and flavor. They share another bottle of wine, one that Harry is almost positive sold for some ludicrously high price. He doesn't take the flowers off his lap the whole time.

Louis sets his cup down on the moss when they're done eating and takes one of Harry's hands in his. "I need to tell you something."

Harry raises an eyebrow and sets his own glass down to take Louis' free hand in his free hand, so they're facing each other holding both hands. "Ok."

"Ok? Usually people get nervous when people say that," Louis teases.

"Nah, not with you. You don't make me nervous."

"What do I make you, then?"

"Happy," he says with a grin, leaning forward to kiss him on the nose. Harry loves watching the blush rise to his cheeks, loves how the wine's stained his lips red when he bites them.

"Oh," Louis says softly. "Well I hope you like what I have to say then."

"Go for it."

"Alright, um, we're soulmates." Louis presses his lips together into a line, eyes bright as he watches Harry.

"Oh," Harry says, squeezing his hand. "You know, most people would just start out with asking someone to be their boyfriend, but I'm not gonna disagree with you."

"No, I mean." He pauses, licking his lip once. "It's like, a thing. That's why you didn't get magic until you met me."

Harry stares at him for a moment before going, "Wait, really? So that's what Opheila and Solembum were talking about!" Louis gives him a confused look, and he explains, "They both told me some vague stuff about us being meant to be together and that I'd know soon enough. It makes sense now."